TravelTalkOnline

Best Mooring For New Years

Posted By: Cyclops

Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 02:03 PM

If one were to be sailing in the BVI over this coming New Year Eve, what would be the best mooring location to observe any of the firework celebrations (if there are any), can the mooring balls be reserved in advance, how far in advance should we moor, etc. (would love to have WiFi/cellular access as well -big ask, I know).

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 04:12 PM

I don't know that I have seen any "official" fireworks on NYE in the BVI.
Some vessels have a few flares etc. in the various harbors.
I have seen some of the Big mega-yachts with short, impressive displays in both N. Sound and The Bight in past years.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 08:14 PM

I have never heard of fireworks in the BVI. The party place to be in the BVI for NEY is JVD.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 08:44 PM

There aren't any "official" fireworks on Old Years Eve.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 09:03 PM

Not been around NYE for a while. North Sound was always a good time and always our top choice, anchored out from Robins Bay and then RIB into BEYC. Obviously not so much now...Great Harbour JVD was also a reasonable anchorage 15 years ago on NYE...and Foxy's was 'out of control'...but in a good way!

If it were me, I'd probably try for one of the balls at Diamond Cay JVD/LJVD a day early (assuming those out-of-town-morons at Boatyball haven't converted all of them by then) and then cab over to the action at Great Harbour if that's what you're after. Keep the boat out of the chaos, but within easy reach...

...enjoy the chaos in GH for as long as you care to and then get out of dodge! Wake up in beautiful surroundings without 16 idiots who don't know how to anchor wrapped around you like Christmas paper!

Posted By: sail445

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
I have never heard of fireworks in the BVI. The party place to be in the BVI for NEY is JVD.

There used to be way back in the early 2000’s at East End where an Expat from NJ started an inter island delivery service with a landing craft and every New Year’s Eve for a few years he had permission to load it up with fireworks for New Year’s.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 09:07 PM

The Yacht Week shenanigans are usually around and they'll be rafted up at Foxy's Taboo on New Year's Day.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/14/2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
The Yacht Week shenanigans are usually around and they'll be rafted up at Foxy's Taboo on New Year's Day.

There goes my plan! Good Intel.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/15/2019 11:05 PM

From Anegada we have watched the fireworks at Necker and Spanish Town. I wouldn't be surprised if Moskito or Eustacia also has them. Pretty far away but still a great night having drinks at Neptune's with friends and family!
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/16/2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
From Anegada we have watched the fireworks at Necker and Spanish Town. I wouldn't be surprised if Moskito or Eustacia also has them. Pretty far away but still a great night having drinks at Neptune's with friends and family!

So you didn't see the Fireworks on Anegada the past 2 years?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Best Mooring For New Years - 07/16/2019 04:16 PM

Sadly, I've been on Tortola for NYE the last 2 years.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline