TravelTalkOnline

Overnight at White Bay, Guana?

Posted By: danmasi

Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/25/2019 03:10 PM

So I see that overnight balls have been placed at Guana! Have never overnighted there, as the combination of questionable weather changes and my questionable anchoring skills smile have always deterred me. But might want to give this a try in a couple weeks. I assume we can't let the kids go ashore and use the beach, but snorkeling is fair game? Also assuming this is a decent anchorage in the summer (when winds are down and there's no swell) as long as a wave isn't coming through overnight... -d
Posted By: JlarsBVI

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/25/2019 07:18 PM

We have stayed there on a mooring ball on our last trip in January, and the January before that. You are allowed to go to the beach but not any further inland. It is a beautiful white sand beach. It was so calm we all paddle boarded around and enjoyed the calm and low key area. You can take your dinghy down to Monkey Point and snorkel. We got there right when the sun was going down behind the hill so we didn't have as good as visibility as we wanted, but we could tell it would be a great snorkeling spot full sun. The sunset was absolutely beautiful as well.

Attached picture IMG_2379.JPG
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/25/2019 09:25 PM

Great place with the right weather.

Be respectful of their guests (there is lots of beach there).

Enjoy!
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by danmasi
So I see that overnight balls have been placed at Guana! Have never overnighted there, as the combination of questionable weather changes and my questionable anchoring skills smile have always deterred me. But might want to give this a try in a couple weeks. I assume we can't let the kids go ashore and use the beach, but snorkeling is fair game? Also assuming this is a decent anchorage in the summer (when winds are down and there's no swell) as long as a wave isn't coming through overnight... -d

We've overnighted there a couple of occasions. On our mono we found both times to be a bit rolly. On a cat it would be fine. Both the beach and water are beautiful. Short dingy ride over to Monkey Pt. The sand in White Bay is like powdered sugar. Surely the softest sand in the islands.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 01:08 PM

As another post mentioned it’s a nice overnight in perfect weather. If the forecast says anything about rain showers, squalls or thunderstorms it’s not a acceptable overnight. That probably knocks it out as a option at least half the time. If on a ball inspect it carefully. They are on sandscrews and will pull out of the bottom.
George
Posted By: BoatDrinks2

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 02:23 PM

FWIW - We were there on a ball in May and our mooring line was attached to a big cement block....maybe it was just that particular mooring?..not sure.
Posted By: danmasi

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
If the forecast says anything about rain showers, squalls or thunderstorms it’s not a acceptable overnight. That probably knocks it out as a option at least half the time.
George

Thanks all. George, not sure I understand the "rain showers" bit. You're right, one can count on rain showers many nights regardless of season. But does this really affect overnighting in fair-weather-only anchorages? I thought this was more about exposure to northern swells (generally not around in the summer) or strong squalls (generally the kind that are radio forecast worthy), no? What're some favorite resources for forecasting? I'm thinking of getting there around 12-1, and if the forecast at that point doesn't sound good, then maybe just heading over to Marina Cay instead, though it's not my favorite overnight stop...

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 08:22 PM

Rain showers have a way of becoming thunderstorms at 2am. You don’t want to be in WB at 2am in a thunderstorm. Don’t ask me how I know this buts let’s just say a very close personal friend had this experience!

Re: Overnight at White Bay, Guana? - 07/27/2019 08:23 PM

Rain showers have a way of becoming thunderstorms at 2am. You don’t want to be in WB at 2am in a thunderstorm. Don’t ask me how I know this buts let’s just say a very close personal friend had this experience!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline