TravelTalkOnline

Mooring balls at George Dog?

Posted By: VI Fun!

Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/03/2019 01:03 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any current information regarding George Dog? I was wondering if there were any mooring balls available near a good snorkeling location or is it too rough and only good for diving? I see "Kitchen Point" labeled on google maps. Is that a nice quiet beach location? I can't find much information on this island. We did stop at Great Dog this past June and enjoyed snorkeling that location. I was wondering if George Dog was better/worse or simply not worth stopping there. Thanks in advance for any information.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/03/2019 02:17 AM

We've anchored at Kitchen Point and taken moorings at George Dog and I never found the snorkeling comparable to Great Dog. Still pretty nice, just not in comparison with one of the best snorkeling spots in the islands. My experience is pre-Irma though.
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/03/2019 03:03 AM

I love George Dog and that little tiny beach. The only 2 times in BVI I've seen manta rays-- once was by Cockroach across from mooring field and once was on the other side of George Dog headed to the Seal Dogs.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/03/2019 03:35 AM

There are 2 or 3 national parks mooring balls on the West side of George Dog.
Posted By: VI Fun!

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/03/2019 11:32 PM

Thanks! Is the best snorkeling on the west side near the mooring balls as well?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/05/2019 03:52 AM

We scuba dive there. No comment on snorkeling. Reef is in good shape over the balls. Not sure how it is in shallow.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/05/2019 12:53 PM

Just to clarify on George dog, there should be 2 dive balls near the NW point to dive Bronco billy. In addition there should be 3 balls near the SW point for snorkeling near the little beach mentioned. Keep in mind there is a 90 minute limit. It’s frustrating to arrive for a dive and find boats camped on the balls all day.
G
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Mooring balls at George Dog? - 10/05/2019 01:16 PM

Wasn’t there someone on here a few months ago complaining that he was one of two boats there overnight and that they swung too close together? Maybe the government should take all those “environmental” taxes they’ve stockpiled, buy a boat and start patrolling these sites.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline