TravelTalkOnline

Riteway Question

Posted By: RandyA92

Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 03:57 PM

Can someone enlighten me as to whether I need to bring my own grocery bags or not. the last few times I have had things delivered, but since we are getting to the island on the first ferry we decided to do our own shopping.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 03:58 PM

Yes - bring them - makes things much easier
Posted By: RandyA92

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 03:59 PM

Thank you Winterstale
Posted By: Rush

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 04:04 PM

We were there last week and I believe they charged $.10 per plastic bag. We had the bulk of our provisions delivered to the boat and filled up 2 backpacks and then bought 2 plastic bags at the store for produce and hand-picked shopping. We were out of Hodges Creek, so used the smaller store near there and we were pleased with their selection.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 06:05 PM

Do they have bigger bags available for purchase? We have purchased reusable bags on St. Maarten, that are branded with the name of the store there. It makes for more fun shopping here locally to use them, and imagine we are in the ilons..

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 08:48 PM

I don't recall if Riteway did, but the little grocery store at Rhymers in Cane Garden did which we reused.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Riteway Question - 10/30/2019 09:40 PM

Did it have the name of the store on it? So much more fun if it does.

Re: Riteway Question - 10/31/2019 03:16 AM

Yep. Agree. It did.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Riteway Question - 10/31/2019 01:56 PM

You can purchase large reusable bags at the checkout if you want (branded). Or they will put things in plastic bags (not sure of the charge).

Or you can grab empty boxes from under stairs just past the checkout counters (no charge). This is the best option for large orders.
Posted By: Halcyon

Re: Riteway Question - 10/31/2019 03:49 PM

We always take a few bags with us, plus a insulated soft-sided bag for cold items. Works really well and doesn’t take up much room.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Riteway Question - 10/31/2019 04:16 PM

we use boxes but make sure after food is unloaded the boxes stay at the marina in the trash as we learned the hard way that there can be bugs in the boxes...
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Riteway Question - 10/31/2019 06:44 PM

good points on cardboard boxes and provisions and boxes on board.

We also never put cardboard boxes on board a sailing vessel, or even bring items home from Costco into the house.

Best to bring you own stout plastic bags , they do not take up much room, and are easy to pack.

The reason we do bring aboard card board boxes is that they can be roach hotels.

As to riteway, we now bare boat out of Conch Charters and run one of their several dock ' barrows ' over to riteway which is a short distance up the road.
When checking out, we take items out of the stores carts and put them into the dock barrow, and wheel the supplies to the boat. The store put our purchases
into normal plastic bags...., totally easy transition.

However, we do not sail with 8 to 12 people, there is just the two of us, and that might make a huge difference for transporting needed provisions.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Riteway Question - 11/01/2019 02:02 AM

I found you can pack more than you can carry with a Polar Bear insulated bag for the cold stuff and 3 or 4 of those French net shopping bags.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline