TravelTalkOnline

SUP vs Kayak

Posted By: flyingcloud

SUP vs Kayak - 10/31/2019 08:23 PM

I did some searching and it seems like the SUPs are preferred over the Kayaks on TTOL? We are on a Lagoon 450F and there's 5 of us total. Wasn't sure if the 2 person kayaks would be better for 2 couples or would be more of a PITA than the SUPs to deal with? Thoughts suggestions? There are some included in our charter so don't want to pick the wrong thing. Thanks!
Posted By: Alec Atteberry

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 10/31/2019 08:56 PM

We usually go with the SUP’s because they take up a lot less space on deck and are less of a hassle getting in and out of the water. They’re not as stable or efficient as a kayak, especially with two people, but they’re still a lot of fun.
Posted By: bailau

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 10/31/2019 10:32 PM

Agree with Alec...we carried both around for a while and kayaks didn't get used and were heavy. SUP also makes a better floating bar...
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 01:00 AM

ahhhh...a floating bar? I may need to re-think my toy selection for the upcoming trip!
Posted By: warren460

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 02:08 AM

SUP
Posted By: SurfandSail

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 09:53 AM

Island Surf and Sail offers a 10% TTOL discount on water toys and watersport rentals and free delivery! (Sponsors Here)
www.bviwatertoys.com
Posted By: ligot

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 12:12 PM

Some SUPS can come with a seat or seats that can clip on so that they can be used as something of a makeshift kayak if that's what someone wants. We just found the kayaks seemed like a great idea but were used less than the SUP's. Maybe just too much trouble to carry around the deck to get into the water?

Just check that the users have some experience. We had someone jump on but couldn't turn into the wind while in the Bight. Next thing we know she's "sailing" toward St John and we had to send a couple guys in a dinghy to get her!
Posted By: wizoc

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 12:40 PM

Ok I'll admit my ignorance-what the hell is a SUP?
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wizoc
Ok I'll admit my ignorance-what the hell is a SUP?

Stand Up Paddle board
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RacerRon
ahhhh...a floating bar? I may need to re-think my toy selection for the upcoming trip!

I was thinking the same!! Have a great trip Ron. Sorry we will just miss each other. But will see if we can work out something locally.

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 01:20 PM

I have the SUP/kayak combo at my beach house and they are nice...haven't seen them in BVIs yet.

Got them at Costco...they have a 2 pack on sale every once in a while.
Posted By: louismcc

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 02:12 PM

In 2018 we rented a kayak, dinghy ladder and snorkel vests from Island Surf and Sail and recommend them highly.
Posted By: reverie

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 03:20 PM

We rented a double kayak and a SUP on our last trip and to be honest we didn't use them as much as we thought we would. (4 adults and 3 kids on board) I agree that the kayak is a lot heavier, however, with the constant wind, SUPing was a bit difficult! smile Our next trip we are skipping the rentals. There are too many things to do and not enough time! HA! With sailing, fishing, hiking, snorkeling, floating around in tubes, swimming, exploring the islands etc! I'll let you know if we miss them this next trip!
Posted By: flyingcloud

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like we are going to go with the SUPs; ease of transport, getting in from water, and floating bar won the vote.

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 06:04 PM

cool..throw in some swim mats and some noodles as well
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/01/2019 07:17 PM

In September I spent some time on Squam Lake in NH. I was on the dock and someone went by with an aluminum and webbing beach chair sitting on a SUP. I thought "that can't last long". About an hour later it came back by and they were dry. but YMMV
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/02/2019 04:32 PM

We'll be down in March for our 4th trip, 1st sans kids, WAS going to skip kayak/sup, but FLOATING BAR? I'M IN!!
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: SUP vs Kayak - 11/02/2019 06:21 PM

We've used them both, SUP and Kayak. Everyone prefers the kayak. After a half hour or so, the SUP became boring. The kayak, on the other hand, was used for exploring more of the anchorage and lagoon areas.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline