TravelTalkOnline

How much cash?

Posted By: DuxDweller

How much cash? - 11/25/2019 02:03 PM

I'm wondering how much cash I need to take for a 1 week charter (5 adults) Lagoon 450. I know that most places will take my card - but some won't - and I believe someone said fuel is cash only? TIA
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 02:18 PM

It depends on whether you plan on anchoring, mooring or taking slips. For slips, fuel, water, 95% of dinners, groceries, etc., is a lot like the US and Europe - everyone takes cc. From my experience we've always paid cash for mooring balls, except at Leverick when we've stopped for fuel, spent a night on a ball then a night in a slip (when used cc). I don't know if the other mooring ball places will take cc, as I've never asked.

Many in the BVIs charge a ~3% surcharge for using the card. This also includes paying your boat insurance and the final amount due when you pick up the boat.

You also have arrival and departure expenses that requires cash.

I believe we took $300/pp for a 10 night trip in Oct and had cash left over.

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 02:34 PM

So fuel is not cash only?
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 02:48 PM

I always paid for fuel with a credit card.
Posted By: sail445

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 03:06 PM

$2,000 should cover it if using your CC. You want to have enough cash in case the ATM is out of cash on the island your on.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 03:20 PM

If you use the boatyball for moorings you'll be using credit cards I assume.

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
$2,000 should cover it if using your CC. You want to have enough cash in case the ATM is out of cash on the island your on.

That's what I was worried about. We'll moor most nights I assume; so not a ton of $$ there - but I was thinking fuel, a possible lunch or two, customs fees and misc tips would be cash.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 04:29 PM

Cash for the guys who bring ice and take the trash...
Safari bus tour for the group on VG. (Pub Crawl/Hog Heaven/The Baths)
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 08:45 PM

Not sure if you’re solo or in a group but our groups have a boat “kitty”. Each couple puts in $200-225 at the start of the charter. We use it to pay for mooring balls, ice, trash, water & misc shared expenses. IF we have any left we use it for fuel at the end. Fuel dock took credit cards last time we chartered. We personally take another $1000 for the the two of us. Always end up bringing most of it home.
Posted By: ugo

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 09:38 PM

can you use cc at customs?

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CottageGirl
Not sure if you’re solo or in a group but our groups have a boat “kitty”. Each couple puts in $200-225 at the start of the charter. We use it to pay for mooring balls, ice, trash, water & misc shared expenses. IF we have any left we use it for fuel at the end. Fuel dock took credit cards last time we chartered. We personally take another $1000 for the the two of us. Always end up bringing most of it home.

Thank you! I'm the Dad - wife and 3 of my kids (19-23) are crew - so it's on me. Sounds like I'd be good to take $2k and cards . . .
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 09:50 PM

Fuel : Credit card every time (Not American Express)

Practically every restaurant and bar takes credit card.

Cash: Mooring balls
Ice/ trash/
Customs
Taxi
Tips

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 10:18 PM

Thanks Wes. Makes sense.
Posted By: bailau

Re: How much cash? - 11/25/2019 10:38 PM

and there are ATMS in Road Town, Spanish Town
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: How much cash? - 11/26/2019 12:45 AM

I'm pretty sure you have to have cash for customs.
Posted By: ligot

Re: How much cash? - 11/26/2019 12:41 PM

Never paid cash for fuel. And like others have said, we collect a "kitty" that stays on the boat for
moorings
ice
trash
some reprovisioning

Once that's established and the crew understands it, there's not as big a need for cash as there was 10 years ago. The last couple of trips we came home with much of what we brought (except for the "kitty")

Dave
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: How much cash? - 11/26/2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kegoangoango

I would agree. Just not 100% positive. Can't recall ever trying to use a credit card.

Re: How much cash? - 11/26/2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kegoangoango

Is this $100/pp? $60 in and $40 out? Or do we just pay the $60 in?

Re: How much cash? - 01/18/2020 03:52 PM

Closing the loop on some of the pre-charter questions I had. As far as cash - I took much more than I needed. For 5 people (where I paid for everything) I spent close to $1000 in cash. That was, frankly, going out of my way to spend cash. VERY FEW places would not take my visa/MC. Also - for fuel on a 45' Lagoon with the genset running full time and under power at least half the time, I used 92 gallons ($360).
Posted By: captmoby

Re: How much cash? - 01/19/2020 11:24 AM

I have found that nobody takes Discover Card and heard of difficulties with American Express as well. Keep that in mind when expecting to pay with credit cards.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline