TravelTalkOnline

Frenchman's Reef St Thomas

Posted By: DaveF

Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/14/2019 03:59 PM

Does anyone have an update on the Marriott Frenchman's Reef? In the past we usually spent a night or 2 after our charter at the Marriott but now I see it is still closed from Irma. I looked over the web and the news I saw was all old on this. Does anyone know the plans and what is happening?

If this hotel is not available any other recommendations? This will be early summer.

Thanks for the help

Dave
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/14/2019 05:12 PM

We always stay at The Emerald Beach and, over the years, it has got better and better. The rooms are nice, beachfront , the restaurant is OK and the beachfront bar is great. The staff are terrific. I recommend booking direct with them through their website.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/14/2019 06:30 PM

Frenchmans Reef is still closed -- and very little reliable info has been posted about an opening date here in the USVI that I have come across.

Big hotel recommendation -- agree with Emerald Beach
Smaller venues -- not beachfront -- Olga's Fancy -- Green Iguana -- Mafolie Hotel -- Island View
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/14/2019 06:31 PM

Frenchman’s Reef is several years away from reopening. Emerald Beach or Windward Passage are other options close in.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/14/2019 06:50 PM

Having stayed at both Emerald Beach and Windward Passage..unless there is a wide price difference..I would always opt for Emerald Beach..the layout of Windward Passage is very strange..the bar doesn't open til late afternoon and we didnt think much of their cafe..Just my humble opinion..they have redone the rooms at Windward Passge and they are nice.
Posted By: DaveF

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/15/2019 02:15 PM

Thanks for the advice on this. Will check out these options.
Posted By: cbinparadise

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/15/2019 09:23 PM

Emerald Beach is a great last stop of the trip. Decent rooms, right on the beach, nice pool, good restaurant and beach bar and very close to the airport. I spend at least 1 night there after each trip to the BVI & STJ. Been staying there for decades.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/15/2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Having stayed at both Emerald Beach and Windward Passage..unless there is a wide price difference..I would always opt for Emerald Beach..the layout of Windward Passage is very strange..the bar doesn't open til late afternoon and we didnt think much of their cafe..Just my humble opinion..they have redone the rooms at Windward Passge and they are nice.

Agreed. But WP is walking distance to downtown and Frenchtown and the ferry is across the street. So there is some advantage there. Nice to be able to walk to Virgilios.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/18/2019 11:50 AM

Frenchman's Reef says early summer of 2020. Frenchman's Reef Facebook page.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/18/2019 04:27 PM

An article today about the renovations:

https://stthomassource.com/content/2019/12/18/frenchmans-reef-provides-look-at-whats-coming/
Posted By: calsail

Re: Frenchman's Reef St Thomas - 12/18/2019 06:09 PM

Windward Passage is just fine but Emerald Beach is WAY better.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline