TravelTalkOnline

October Charter

Posted By: Redbeard

October Charter - 12/19/2019 02:22 AM

We just finished a charter last month with friends and had an awesome time. After seeing the pics of our trip, my kids (14 and 10 year old boys) are eager to go and I would love for them to experience the BVIs as well. They are tracked out of school in early October and I am thinking of booking another charter for just our family. We would most likely go with a 433PC from Moorings. Being from NC, I am well aware of the risk that Hurricane season presents but would probably just get some trip insurance. I also realize some establishments will be closed during this time. Anybody have experience chartering in early October? I would love to get any advice you all have to offer.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 03:32 AM

I have been almost every October (except Irma) and weather good. Occasional rain, Small crowds. And great times.
Posted By: bailau

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 03:37 AM

same...go every October...smaller crowds
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 04:27 AM

Same. Missed 2017 because of Irma, but three other trips, including this year. You will find some things closed, but if you don't mind adjusting because of this, it's great. Plenty of things still open, smaller crowds, generally good weather for sailing (although the winds were light this year for the first few days).

But you should take out trip insurance (if you don't have some automatic coverage from a credit card or something similar). 2017 paid for the insurance on the years we've purchased it. We don't purchase it every year. It's based on whether we consider the trip "expensive" (our definition of "expensive" may be different than yours). We consider the cost of pre-paying for a large cat "expensive".
Posted By: aarpskier

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 05:56 AM

When we took our four grandkids to the BVI for the first time in 2014 (12, 8, 8, 5), I did a "pirate's crew manual" explaining what, where, when, why, etc. PM me with our email address and I will send you generic pdf and Word versions you can customize for your 10 year old.
Posted By: trueblue

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 02:31 PM

We used aarpskier’s pdf, edited for each of our 6 grandchildren. A fabulous resource! Wonderful way to prepare them for a week in paradise!
Posted By: Redbeard

Re: October Charter - 12/19/2019 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody. Good to hear the positive experiences. PM sent aarpskier
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline