TravelTalkOnline

Another Ferry Question

Posted By: DaveF

Another Ferry Question - 01/05/2020 07:01 PM

As an option we are looking at staying on St. John for 2 nights after leaving BVI. Searching around I do not see any ferry service from West End to Cruz Bay directly. It looks like we may have to go via Red Hook.

Drop off at Red Hook go thru customs then take the ferry to Cruz Bay from Red Hook, this leaves on the top of the hour, every hour throughout the day. Kind of cumbersome.

Does anyone know differently? Other options? By summer could these schedules change?

Other option is find a Taxi Ferry Service from West End direct to Cruz Bay. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Dave
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/05/2020 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by DaveF
As an option we are looking at staying on St. John for 2 nights after leaving BVI. Searching around I do not see any ferry service from West End to Cruz Bay directly. It looks like we may have to go via Red Hook.

Drop off at Red Hook go thru customs then take the ferry to Cruz Bay from Red Hook, this leaves on the top of the hour, every hour throughout the day. Kind of cumbersome.

Does anyone know differently? Other options? By summer could these schedules change?

Other option is find a Taxi Ferry Service from West End direct to Cruz Bay. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Dave

You are correct. No customs for ferries on St John yet. Not sure when it will change.
Posted By: chbrow10

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/06/2020 08:39 PM

I don’t know if Cruz Bay has ever been a port of entry (in the modern era)
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/06/2020 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by chbrow10

??? It has been a C&I port of entry for a Long Time
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/07/2020 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by chbrow10

C&I has been in Cruz Bay for a long time. Perhaps you are thinking of Great Cruz Bay (where the Westin Hotel was located) ?

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/07/2020 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check on the water taxi and see how that comes out. It is only 2 of us. Maybe when it gets closer I can check to see if anyone wants to share the ride.

Dave
Posted By: DES

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/07/2020 02:51 PM

I’m looking at the same thing. Cruz Bay customs is closed so ferries to Red Hook no longer stop there.It appears the best play is to go into Red Hook, where there now is a customs office; there is an hourly ferry to Cruz Bay out of Red Hook

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/07/2020 04:05 PM

Just saw this. I think Water Taxi and boaters are OK but not the ferry

https://stjohnsource.com/2018/06/14...z-bay-eases-problems-for-some-travelers/

Re: Another Ferry Question - 01/07/2020 04:24 PM

One last question. I just got a price for a Water Taxi, it is $425, West End to Cruz Bay. Exit and enter fees are extra, which makes sense. This would be OK if 4 people but there is just 2 of us.

Is there a way on the TravelTalk site that I can "advertise" or ask if anyone wants to share the ride? This is sometime in the future...July 10. So plenty of time to plan.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline