TravelTalkOnline

Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI?

Posted By: andreapal51

Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/07/2020 10:09 PM

Flying in tomorrow and have been following news and weather. Looks like there will certainly be wind but wondering if there’s been additional earthquake activity since this morning? No tsunami warning issued but there has been discussion. I’m flying into Anegada so hoping to get current information direct from the BVI. Thank you
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/07/2020 10:41 PM

No - all clear and no damage - the earthquake was to the south-west of PR and BVI is to the east of PR
Posted By: sail445

Re: Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/07/2020 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by andreapal51
Flying in tomorrow and have been following news and weather. Looks like there will certainly be wind but wondering if there’s been additional earthquake activity since this morning? No tsunami warning issued but there has been discussion. I’m flying into Anegada so hoping to get current information direct from the BVI. Thank you

As for PR, if there is a large quake off the NW then there would be concern because the PR Trench which is the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean is also a major fault zone and if it collapsed the island or most of it would fall into the sea and cause a major tsunami
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/08/2020 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by andreapal51

Heard from a Virgin Gorda resident and they have not felt anything from the PR earthquakes so far.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/08/2020 01:31 PM

We’re flying into SJU in 2 weeks then connecting to EIS the next day. From what I read today the airport and surrounding hotels were unaffected.
Posted By: Tortolian

Re: Puerto Rico earthquake affecting BVI? - 01/09/2020 12:46 PM

We've felt a couple of the bigger PR ones in Tortola, but very mild.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline