TravelTalkOnline

Liquor question

Posted By: KellyJo

Liquor question - 01/11/2020 06:59 PM

We are flying into St. Thomas in April. We will then ferry over to Tortola for our charter trip. Can we or should we buy booze at the duty free store to bring over, or get from Riteway with our other provisions? Booze looked expensive at Riteway.

Thanks, Kelly
Posted By: SonOfTheSea

Re: Liquor question - 01/11/2020 08:07 PM

Liquor in BVI seemed to be either the same or often cheaper than US prices when we went last year. Consider Caribbean Cellars also, they had good selection and communicated well with questions and substitution needs. We will definitely use them again. Beer prices are definitely on the pricey side, but if I were in your situation I’d be considering the hassle of having to lug around all the booze you’d need to transport for a charter trip versus the price of spending a little more to just have it delivered to your boat and be done with it. If your group is splitting the cost I can’t imagine it would cost each person too much more to just buy it in Tortola and save some effort!
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Liquor question - 01/11/2020 08:35 PM

Also check out Tico’s. All of these companies will delivery to your boat.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Liquor question - 01/11/2020 09:26 PM

I've had very good luck with Caribbean Cellars. Better pricing and selection than buying from the markets. I have not had an opportunity to use Tico's, although understand they also have a good reputation.
Posted By: calsail

Re: Liquor question - 01/12/2020 03:42 PM

Caribbean Cellars or/and Ticos. No brainer.
Posted By: SacoFrank

Re: Liquor question - 01/13/2020 05:10 PM

I know I jumping ahead but what do people do if they have excess liquor and beer at the end of a charter(shame on them)?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Liquor question - 01/13/2020 05:16 PM

The staff always appreciates left over liquor..
Posted By: ohstate

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 12:43 AM

Question for the land based on VG... where can I pick up bourbon? Couldn’t find it anywhere in 2019. Do they hav it at Mad Dogs? Thanks?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 01:17 AM

you can always place an order with Tico or Caribbean Cellars and have them put it on the ferry for you to pick up. I did this all the time when I was Anegada land based.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ohstate
Question for the land based on VG... where can I pick up bourbon? Couldn’t find it anywhere in 2019. Do they hav it at Mad Dogs? Thanks?

All the grocery stores should have it: Rite Way, Bucks, and Rosy's. Mad Dog is a bar, so should have bourbon for drinks.
Posted By: ohstate

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 01:28 AM

None of them had it last year. I looked.
Posted By: trespalmas

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 02:39 AM

A few people have mentioned in other threads that they have had success finding hard seltzer’s (white claw, truly, etc). Does anybody know where these are available?
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 01:39 PM

Perhaps try The Chef's Pantry at Leverick Bay.

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 01:53 PM

Caribbean Cellars carries Truly now.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 02:40 PM

My wife just put in an order with CC for Truly and they did not have it.
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 02:52 PM

There's always a bottle of vodka and soda water if you can't find it.

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 02:56 PM

I might not be on their order form, but they have it in the store by The Moorings. I was just there and saw it earlier this week.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
I might not be on their order form, but they have it in the store by The Moorings. I was just there and saw it earlier this week.

Odd. We ordered it on the website but got an email a few days ago saying they could not fill the order and had no substitute. Will have to check in person when we are there in a few days.

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 03:52 PM

Maybe the warehouse is out of stock. The retail store has (or had) it.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by ohstate
None of them had it last year. I looked.

Rite Way had Canadian Club when we were there last month. We don't drink bourbon, but we helped a lady carry 2 bottles to her car.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Liquor question - 01/16/2020 07:53 PM

Just placed an order at Caribbean Cellars yesterday; it included Truly. I asked them to let me know if they couldn't fill any of the order. We'll see what happens.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline