TravelTalkOnline

Peter Island

Posted By: Nibj

Peter Island - 01/14/2020 09:51 PM

Looking for group wisdom please!

We are currently in the BVI (Diamond Cay) and are thinking of sailing to Great Harbor on Peter island tomorrow since we have never been there. NOAA predicts a 4 ft north swell. The Moorings chart briefer said that Peter is bad in a north swell but others seem to disagree. So should we go or should we default to Norman (which everyone seems to agree is excellent)?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Peter Island - 01/14/2020 10:11 PM

Great harbor is a perfect place in a North swell. You will have no issues. Perhaps the briefer meant Deadman’s Bay on Peter.
George
Posted By: sail445

Re: Peter Island - 01/14/2020 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nibj
Looking for group wisdom please!

We are currently in the BVI (Diamond Cay) and are thinking of sailing to Great Harbor on Peter island tomorrow since we have never been there. NOAA predicts a 4 ft north swell. The Moorings chart briefer said that Peter is bad in a north swell but others seem to disagree. So should we go or should we default to Norman (which everyone seems to agree is excellent)?

Thanks in advance.

Try Little Harbour, there aren’t any mooring balls but it’s quiet in anything but a westerly.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Peter Island - 01/14/2020 11:40 PM

Great Harbour, Peter Island will be fine wrt north swell, though may be very windy. I find the wind tends to funnel and accelerate as it comes into this bay. Privateer Bay and Water Point, Norman Island are a good backup plan if these winds continue.

Re: Peter Island - 01/16/2020 11:23 AM

Thanks for the information. We went to Great Harbor and had a smooth and breezy night as promised! Lovely, almost empty, spot. Many moorings spaced well apart. We chose a ball at the East end of the harbor.
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Peter Island - 01/16/2020 03:08 PM

Hey Nibj: I am building an itinerary for a trip to BVIs in early May. How did you like Diamond Cay? How Was Foxy's Taboo? Deciding if we want to stay there a night. Thx.

Re: Peter Island - 01/17/2020 01:33 AM

I answered your other thread. We didn’t visit Taboo except to tie up the dinghy for a walk to the Bubbly Pool.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline