TravelTalkOnline

Provisioning

Posted By: Sandsailsun

Provisioning - 01/17/2020 09:33 PM

So I know I should search this but we have a trip planning meeting in a few hours...Tico or Caribbean cellars for booze? I have never done this before !! Always just rent a truck and drove around VG to get what we needed . We will do food too and likely from Riteway?...gonna be sweet to arrive with some food and drink there .
Posted By: DuxDweller

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 10:02 PM

I got most everything I needed at Bobbys FWIW. They stocked me with Carib, Bud Light, Pussers and Absolute. Did not check on the wines however.

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 10:08 PM

Thanks ..I am a total provision in advance newbie so any advice welcomed !!! Do we need to buy toilet paper and stuff like that ! We did when chartering in Greece , but , again newbie . Sorry for the stupid questions
Posted By: pedalpusher

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 10:39 PM

Hey Kim! Are you guys chartering or land based this trip? We use Riteway for most of the provisions other than the fresh stuff that the girls usually want to see first hand and pick what they want. As far as booze, I usually check both Tico and CC. I think that they carry different brands. Safe travels.

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 10:44 PM

Thanks Les ...we are chartering a cat with 8 of us ...so first time doing this not on a private vessel . Hope to see you in 2020. We return again in May / June
Posted By: DuxDweller

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 10:53 PM

Hey Kim - we had to provision TP and paper towels (though I don't think we used as much as we thought we would). Also - we went through WAY more water than I thought. Started with 12 gallons for 6 people and ended up getting another 12 for a 7 day charter. Same with rum :-)
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 11:00 PM

So much depends on which charter company you are using.....
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 11:07 PM

So much depends on which charter company you are using.....

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 11:22 PM

TMM

Re: Provisioning - 01/17/2020 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDweller
Hey Kim - we had to provision TP and paper towels (though I don't think we used as much as we thought we would). Also - we went through WAY more water than I thought. Started with 12 gallons for 6 people and ended up getting another 12 for a 7 day charter. Same with rum :-)

I am the admiral and I insist on water so we will provision water well....we are a bunch of east coast Canadians so beer will be opened after breakfast ...but I must insist on the water between !!
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sandsailsun
TMM

Good choice.. Which boat? Maybe see you there.

We usually get Caribe and booze from CC. Provisions from Riteway. Even the small Riteway(Next to TMM) has most of what we need
Posted By: warren460

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 06:25 AM

Kim,

Scuba Doo, has a watermaker. So there should be no worries about drinking water. The watermaker is plumbed to the galley so you can refill bottles of drinking water.

You will need paper products etc.

When you get to TMM you will see the starter kit that is placed on board.

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Deepcut
TMM

Good choice.. Which boat? Maybe see you there.

We usually get Caribe and booze from CC. Provisions from Riteway. Even the small Riteway(Next to TMM) has most of what we need

I would love to meet you ..we are on Scuba Doo arriving April 4 th for sleep aboard
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 01:38 PM

We used Bobby's and Tico's for our November trip. We arrived late for the sleep aboard, and I about panicked when there was no booze on the boat when we got there! I found it stored in the office the next morning. Apparently the boat wasn't ready when it was delivered, so they just left it in the office! lol
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 02:51 PM

I have found that the cost of beverages can be substantially more expensive at the markets, for example the difference in a single case of beer can be ten bucks. You might consider Riteway or Bobby's for groceries & soft goods, and then either Caribbean Cellars or Tico's for beverages. I understand you can pre-order online with them all and have delivered to your boat (or charter base) for free. I usually get a 5%-10% discount simply by asking, if my order is large enough.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Provisioning - 01/18/2020 03:29 PM

Anyone have experience with SupaValu? I have seen them deliver huge orders to some large charter yachts at Sopers Hole.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 02:25 AM

Each carry different brands. I go with the one that carries the most brands we need. I usually order from Bobby’s, always been happy with there service.

We order 40 gallons of water. You will need to order toilet paper, you will get 1 roll per head to start.

I order produce too. I’ve been told they use the freshest produce for provisioning and put the rest in the store.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 08:19 PM

Kim, I placed an order last week with both Caribbean Cellars and Ticos. CC emailed to let me know what they were out of. We’ll see what shows up at TMM. From what TMM has told me you need to be at the marina to receive provisions so you need to choose a delivery time. I spent an hour creating a Riteway order online. I was logged in at the time. Went to check out and got stuck. It wouldn’t allow me to check out. Contacted their IT dept mad someone was supposed to call me back to help. No call yet. I’m about to start that all over again.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 08:59 PM

Kim - we have always used CC - they do not deliver on Sunday so if you use them, just make sure you guys arrive on Saturday in time to meet their delivery.

For Riteway, we always have them deliver the bulky stuff and anything we are not picky about — we go there ourselves to pick out any produce and meats - it is a really great store and it is conveniently right across from BVI Yacht Charters base!

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by CottageGirl
Kim, I placed an order last week with both Caribbean Cellars and Ticos. CC emailed to let me know what they were out of. We’ll see what shows up at TMM. From what TMM has told me you need to be at the marina to receive provisions so you need to choose a delivery time. I spent an hour creating a Riteway order online. I was logged in at the time. Went to check out and got stuck. It wouldn’t allow me to check out. Contacted their IT dept mad someone was supposed to call me back to help. No call yet. I’m about to start that all over again.

Oh my .. hope you didnt have to start over!! Would love to chat after you get back about logistics

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Winterstale
Kim - we have always used CC - they do not deliver on Sunday so if you use them, just make sure you guys arrive on Saturday in time to meet their delivery.

For Riteway, we always have them deliver the bulky stuff and anything we are not picky about — we go there ourselves to pick out any produce and meats - it is a really great store and it is conveniently right across from BVI Yacht Charters base!

Perfect thanks my dear
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Provisioning - 01/19/2020 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Winterstale

Perfect thanks my dear

Welcome!! I cannot wait to see you guys - wish it was April but won’t be too long!!’

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 02:58 PM

UPDATE: I took screen shots of my order and through Riteway's IT/corporate department (who were very helpful & prompt) I was able to email those screenshots to the provisioning department. Fingers crossed it all work out!
Posted By: Sedona

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Each carry different brands. I go with the one that carries the most brands we need. I usually order from Bobby’s, always been happy with there service.

We order 40 gallons of water. You will need to order toilet paper, you will get 1 roll per head to start.

I order produce too. I’ve been told they use the freshest produce for provisioning and put the rest in the store.

I’ve been trying to figure out how much water to order.
How many people do you have aboard for your 40 gallons?

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 04:02 PM

Sedona, we plan on a minimum of 1/2 gallon per person per day.
Posted By: Sedona

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 04:14 PM

That’s what I was thinking.... thank you!

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sedona
Originally Posted by Orange_Burst

I’ve been trying to figure out how much water to order.
How many people do you have aboard for your 40 gallons?

We have 8 people for 10 days.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 06:47 PM

I guess it depends on the crew, we use about 2 gallons of drinking water per day.

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 07:09 PM

We are flying in on the 17th or 18th, when do you leave?
Posted By: PEDCO

Re: Provisioning - 01/20/2020 08:06 PM

Just returned from 8 nights with crew of 8

Tico - best price for alcohol , water and soda - delivered $550.00
Riteway - self provisions ( 5 breakfast, 4 lunch , 3 dinners , happy hour snacks ) - $600.00 plus $40.00 taxi - re-supplied items such as bread and fruit halfway thru the trip $34.00

We used 20 gallons of water ( coffee, drinking and teeth brushing )

We also assign each crew couple to bring one item - spices , sugar /sweetener , plastic gallon /sandwich bags , powder single drink mixes- to share with all - as these items pack easily in luggage and tend to be expensive or in wrong bulk size for a week

If you would like to see our provisions list - message me
Posted By: Flynny70

Re: Provisioning - 01/24/2020 01:39 PM

First timer here, in regards to provisioning, we have a sleep aboard the Sunday night with a Monday departure. How much time before the trip should we place our order?

Thanks
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Provisioning - 01/24/2020 02:05 PM

I have done it as late as 4 days ahead but I'd recommend 2 weeks.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline