TravelTalkOnline

First time crewed yacht questions

Posted By: Steph1970nj

First time crewed yacht questions - 02/01/2020 04:55 PM

Hi all. Planning on chartering our first time boat this July for my 50th. Will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids, ages 14 and 12. Our plan is to do a half board to be able to try some local watering holes. Looking for any and all advice on charter companies (bviyc, marine max, voyage, moorings) as well as particular boats (most likely a cat). Also any recommendations on kid friendly places where the grown ups can also enjoy a few cocktails. Son would like to try his hand at fishing, nothing serious, maybe just throw a line in while hanging out. Kids are familiar with boats as we’ve always been a boating family but obviously nothing of this scale. Thanks in advance for any info....can’t wait to start planning!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/01/2020 04:59 PM

No question, try to get Catatonic if she's available. The crew is great and the boat is super well equipped!
Posted By: Steph1970nj

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/01/2020 05:21 PM

Thanks, looks like she’s back in the northeast US by July.☹️
Posted By: warren460

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/01/2020 07:04 PM

Check out charter caribe based in st thomas for an all inclusive vacation with captain chef etc.
Posted By: CherylWegner

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/03/2020 02:02 AM

I'd recommend Breanker. Kristian and Marianne have a special spot in their hearts for kids, and the kids love them too! http://www.breanker.com/
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/04/2020 03:46 AM

OP

First decide on whether you are wanting the luxury of a fully crewed charter (Captain and chef), which obviously has a cost that goes along with it. (ie Charter Caribe). And if you are having a chef, you really don't want to eat half meals ashore.

or do you want a captain only (as it does not appear that you have a qualified person in your existing group). Then eating out half the dinners makes more sense. This would be TMM (and others, but the quality of TMM maintenance is impressive as is noted on TTOL frequently).

Then decide which boat(crew) is right for you.

Either way, and you will be in Paradise!
Posted By: Kryssa

Re: First time crewed yacht questions - 02/07/2020 07:52 AM

You can't go wrong with Keanna and her boat - she's also a scuba instructor if you (or maybe the kids?) have any interest - https://corals-reef.com/

For kid friendly stops, I would definitely include the Baths - hiking/bouldering in and out of the water.

Keep in mind July is mid-hurricane season so you might find some of the usual restaurants, bars, and shops closed for the season. You'll also want good travel insurance!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline