TravelTalkOnline

Is STT airport TSA back to normal?

Posted By: tpcook

Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/23/2020 10:03 PM

Anyone go thru STT TSA lately. Is TSA back to normal?
Posted By: EllenS

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/23/2020 11:13 PM

No. Did it yesterday. Took a couple of hours. Line was more than the entire length of the building.

Ellen
Posted By: Sedona

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 02:23 AM

Our friends did this a few days before we flew home, and we did the same— it worked for both of us: arrive at STT before the airline desk opens. There aren’t that many flights, and many airlines don’t open their desks very early. For example United on Sundays doesn’t open until 11 am! We were the first people in line at United and then sailed through customs. We had to wait two hours past security for our flight, but it was fine.
Posted By: Slug

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 06:09 AM

And I read earlier, the ferries from CA weren't running to Tortola … and we have to catch a ferry from RH, is that still the case?

slug
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 04:08 PM

I've been told that if you have Global Entry, you can skip to the front of the customs line at STT. There is a small sign near the entrance to the customs office between the lines.

The ferry's do run from and to CA. Departing CA, nothing has changed. Arriving CA, the ferry will stop at RH to clear immigration/customs and then continue to CA.
Posted By: DaveZ

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 06:48 PM

Hi Jason,
Customs at the Airport or at CA ferry station?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 07:37 PM

Rick G posted a pic from earlier today. The line was as long as the airport.

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 07:44 PM

Thanks for the clarification Jason!

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/24/2020 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveZ
Hi Jason,
Customs at the Airport or at CA ferry station?

Airport
Posted By: bjack0013

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/25/2020 11:47 AM

Last Saturday we took the 8am ferry from Tortola to Red Hook then a taxi to arrive at STT around 10:30am. We had no line whatsoever to check bags, clear customs and go through security.

Our captain told us to take the 8am ferry because lines at STT get really bad from noon-5pm. While it sucked docking the cat a little earlier, the logistics were a breeze on our return home.
Posted By: TallOne

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/25/2020 01:24 PM

Thanks, info about taking the 8AM ferry very helpful.
Posted By: Sedona

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/26/2020 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by bjack0013
Last Saturday we took the 8am ferry from Tortola to Red Hook then a taxi to arrive at STT around 10:30am. We had no line whatsoever to check bags, clear customs and go through security.

Our captain told us to take the 8am ferry because lines at STT get really bad from noon-5pm. While it sucked docking the cat a little earlier, the logistics were a breeze on our return home.

We did the same. 8 am ferry to Red Hook, customs at Red Hook, cab to STT. No wait at airport, other than waiting for United desk to open.

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/26/2020 08:17 PM

Anybody have any info on when C&I will open again in CA?

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/26/2020 08:38 PM

Both the airport and ferry terminal return to normal on Friday, 28 February.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/26/2020 08:56 PM

What year? grin

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/26/2020 11:44 PM

Thanks again Jason ,,, and yup, let's hope they stick with that.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/27/2020 01:15 AM

Here's the official announcement:

Travel Advisory Update
U. S. Customs Operations at CEKA and Blyden Terminals
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Update Issued 26 Feb 2020
The Virgin Islands Port Authority is pleased to announce that repairs to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection screening areas have been completed at the Cyril E. King Airport Terminal and the Edward W. Blyden IV Marine Terminal on St. Thomas. Normal operations will resume at both terminals on Friday, February 28, said VIPA Executive Director Carlton Dowe.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/27/2020 11:45 PM

To me all indications are they ran into some unexpected asbestos during some renovations.

Re: Is STT airport TSA back to normal? - 02/28/2020 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by GlennA
To me all indications are they ran into some unexpected asbestos during some renovations.

Could easily be. I had heard locally that it was mold remediation but I think asbestos makes more sense since it was in 2 locations at the same time.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline