TravelTalkOnline

Passport issue

Posted By: Winterstale

Passport issue - 07/17/2020 02:13 PM

So....passport service here in the USA is pretty much at a halt. I am “scheduled” to travel to the BVI in November and my passport is up April 2021....makes me a bit nervous. Anyone out there get in with one that was under 6 months from renewal???
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 02:36 PM

I would just send it in now. We have guests scheduled for December but had a passport expiring in February. They sent it in for renewal on May 28th and got it back in 5 weeks. Not sure when in November you're traveling but you have at least 14 weeks.

FYI - I just read that the BVI only requires your passport be valid for the duration of your stay. It's really the airlines that seem to give people grief.

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 02:52 PM

Thanks for this, Jason! There are updates on the US Passport site that warn that they are only processing requests for “life or death” travel at this point and that it could quite a while before people see the return of their passport if they send it in so I am a bit nervous. We are flying in and out of St. Thomas so I am not worried about the airlines on this one - it was the clearing in at RT or West End that concerned me.

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 02:55 PM

Here is the link about passport requirements but you take the risk of getting a grumpy immigration officer when you arrive.

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 03:08 PM

Similar info from US Department of State

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 03:30 PM

I think I’d risk the grumpy officer before sending off my passport right now with no guarantee of getting it back anytime soon...
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 04:56 PM

I think you can renew without sending in your old one, it is just a little more involved.

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 05:06 PM

Good to know - I will look into it!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 05:27 PM

Huhm, never heard of that. I thought you always had to send in the old passport.

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Huhm, never heard of that. I thought you always had to send in the old passport.

I guess you could claim it is lost.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 05:54 PM

Commit perjury, in other words?? Yikes, I don't think so!
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Originally Posted by Carol_Hill

I guess you could claim it is lost.

Don't think you want to do that. When the immigration officer scans your passport it will come up on the system as being lost. And then you get to follow the kind agent into the back room.

Winterstale - if it was me I would not take the chance to get it screwed up. Since you are traveling to STT (airlines won't care) and BVI just needs a valid passport I would do the renewal after getting back from the trip. I don't see any upside to doing it before, i.e., as far as the BVI is concerned you have a valid passport now and a new one will be no more valid that the current one.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 08:28 PM

Would that happen when you present the new replacement passport? Not that I think lying is a good idea....more just curious if everyone who looses a passport and applies and receives a new one has to go to the back room. sad
Posted By: DanS

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 08:40 PM

We traveled to the BVI with just a few weeks left on my wife's passport, and had no problem. Here's an old TTOL thread on the subject:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/131598

Dan cheers

Re: Passport issue - 07/17/2020 09:42 PM

If renewing by mail, you MUST send it in with the renewal application. If you are renewing in person, it seems you don't need to. It states the reasons why you MUST submit an application in person, listing a lost or damaged passport as one reason, but I never saw anything that required you turn it in if you were renewing in person. I think the only concern would be at what point is the passport in hand cancelled - if the passport renewal was processed just before you leave and shipped to you, could the old one no longer be valid? That would be the only concern. I'd confirm all of this, this is just what I noticed when looking at our last renewal.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Passport issue - 07/18/2020 02:21 AM

I would consider it a no brainer to use your current valid passport. BVI does NOT have a requirement that the passport be valid for 6 months, etc.

My passport was stolen, hopefully I can get a new one before November.
Posted By: Kryssa

Re: Passport issue - 07/18/2020 06:53 AM

I am in several online communities for all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, including many resorts that are open to Americans right now. The passport issue is one that is discussed constantly since COVID started. Recently, people have been having luck having their congressperson's office look into where their passport is "stuck" and "helping" it along. Seems it takes 2-3 weeks from when you first reach out.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Passport issue - 07/18/2020 02:35 PM

I paid extra for 'expedited' and my new passport returned in about 10 days, although this was several months ago.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Passport issue - 07/18/2020 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bagsarepacked

Would that happen when you present the new replacement passport? Not that I think lying is a good idea....more just curious if everyone who looses a passport and applies and receives a new one has to go to the back room. sad

The issue is if you use the passport you reported as lost/stolen. When you get a "replacement" it's a new passport with a new number, i.e, it's not a duplicate of the old one. The one that is reported as lost/stolen is flagged as such and if anyone tries to use it I'm pretty sure bad things will happen.

Re: Passport issue - 07/19/2020 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by NoelHall
I paid extra for 'expedited' and my new passport returned in about 10 days, although this was several months ago.

The renewal site now states expediting isn't possible.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline