TravelTalkOnline

Know before you go

Posted By: xrayman67

Know before you go - 12/02/2020 04:00 PM

Those traveling to the BVI need to make sure they and all their party know all the protocols before getting to the islands. I know we should be familiar with local laws, but it just sounds very fluid at the moment and this sounds like pay up or else.
https://bvinews.com/travellers-could-pay-up-to-1000-for-breaching-local-covid-protocols/
Posted By: sail445

Re: Know before you go - 12/02/2020 07:06 PM

Sometimes it’s hard to learn the local laws when the authorities don’t really know the laws most of the time.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Know before you go - 12/02/2020 07:36 PM

The fines seem low for not following - here in Toronto $10,000 for having too many people at an event (Host) and $750 for being one of the people.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Know before you go - 12/02/2020 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gordaguy2
The fines seem low for not following - here in Toronto $10,000 for having too many people at an event (Host) and $750 for being one of the people.

The problem is tourists may have a hard time keeping up with the ever changing and last minute protocols put in place. Hopefully that won't be a problem, but the BVI authorities don't seem to be very forgiving recently. You can certainly argue your case, but it will cost you way more than just paying the fine.
Posted By: Fran

Re: Know before you go - 12/02/2020 10:40 PM

We have dreamed about returning to the BVI for ages. Reading all the post about restrictions and fines etc has convinced us that there are plenty of other islands that would welcome us. The BVI's are our past, time to seek new adventures elsewhere. It's quite obvious we are not welcomed or wanted.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Know before you go - 12/02/2020 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by gordaguy2

What’s happening in Toronto is totally different then the BVI a country with less then a hundred thousand.
I realize your proud of your strict laws controlling and restricting your citizens of basic human rights, but it shouldn’t be happening in the islands where things are laid back and people are happy with their lifestyle and have more freedoms without government intervention
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Know before you go - 12/03/2020 03:02 PM

Agree that large populations need stricter public health measures but the islands have very limited medical facilities and a government's duty is first and foremost to protect its own citizens.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 11:57 AM

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/70-new-covid-19-cases-in-three-days-for-usvi
Posted By: Husker

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fran
We have dreamed about returning to the BVI for ages. Reading all the post about restrictions and fines etc has convinced us that there are plenty of other islands that would welcome us. The BVI's are our past, time to seek new adventures elsewhere. It's quite obvious we are not welcomed or wanted.

Fran, I don't agree. Everyone has been quite welcoming on our current trip. Much more so than in the past.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 02:57 PM

BVI people are the best in the world...probably the best reason to go for those that go often.

The hassle of getting there and the hassle of boating around coupled with a lack of a supportive BVI government to tourism is starting to make this a bridge too far for something that is supposed to be a vacation...

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Husker

Fran, I don't agree. Everyone has been quite welcoming on our current trip. Much more so than in the past.

You're entitled to your opinion but after reading all these posts, we're done even thinking about returning.
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 10:04 PM

Husker, from all of us living vicariously through your intrepid first forays into the new normal of BVI chartering, a huge thank you for the reports! Have you had a chance yet to ascertain how many of the favorite cool beach-side hangouts and restaurants are open (survived)?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 10:49 PM

Everything is open in Cane Garden Bay and Anegada.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Know before you go - 12/06/2020 11:12 PM

J..Are The Elmtones playing??

Re: Know before you go - 12/07/2020 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
J..Are The Elmtones playing??

Good point, Malcom. So far The Elm is not open and Quito's is only open Friday-Sunday.
Posted By: CaptainVlad

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Husker

I imagine one of you talking about people and another is talking about government. Of course people will be welcoming - they basically in a deep deep crisis because of sudden lose of steady income from tourists. Government on the other hand seem to not care. Yes, covid is a serious thing... sometimes... (i've had it, it was just like flu).... But the way BVI Government acts now - they are ruining tourism industry and deter people to come in the future. Hope they have enough money for all those unemployment payments for years and years.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 02:49 PM

There is no unemployment insurance in the BVI, that is one of the problems.

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 03:46 PM

CaptainVlad, You are correct, we've always enjoyed the people and feel bad for them but it's the government that has put us off.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 06:22 PM

Yes, CaptVlad, good points. The gov's handling and execution of the opening has not been smooth. The people working for the gov that we've interfaced with have been really nice and doing their best. Leadership is the issue along with many technical issues executing the protocols. I could give you a long list. Bottom line, we are here and enjoying the islands.
Posted By: dholley

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 07:42 PM

My husband and I are scheduled to visit in January; planning to start charter in BVI (complying with the quarantine requirements) then travel to USVI (returning home from USVI so not re-entering BVI) Are you aware of any restrictions on traveling out of BVI waters? It's been mentioned to us that we currently are not able to do so but can't find anything published to support that claim.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 09:02 PM

If you exit the BVI by boat and than seek to renter I suspect you would have to redo all the Covid protocols if allowed at all when the ports reopen.
Posted By: dholley

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 09:50 PM

Yes, we figured that would be the case which is why we are flying home from STT. But can't come up with any reason why we wouldn't be allowed to exit BVI

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dholley
Yes, we figured that would be the case which is why we are flying home from STT. But can't come up with any reason why we wouldn't be allowed to exit BVI

Well, you're required to check out of the BVI if you're leaving on a boat. As far as I know, they are only allowing a few designated companies to check boats out and take the across the border. All checkouts are approved by the Minister of Health. You could try call the Minister's office or sending a whatsapp to the Steering Committee.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 11:10 PM

The water taxis are advertising trips from BVI to St. Thomas, so I imagine it is possible.

Re: Know before you go - 12/08/2020 11:28 PM

They have been operating water taxis for months outbound. They have a special arrangement already in place.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Know before you go - 12/09/2020 01:46 PM

Anyone can take a yacht out of the BVI. You just cannot come back in without quarantine and without the yacht. You need permission to leave BVI but that is no problem
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline