TravelTalkOnline

Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip

Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/25/2021 05:01 PM

Hi all,

This is probably a long shot but as my name suggests I live on Virgin Gorda and just purchased a Hobie Getaway. It is, however, missing the top half of its mast (also known as the comptip). Before ordering one and shipping it down from the States (which is a pretty expensive endeavor) I wanted to check around the islands and see if I couldn't located one.

Let me know if anyone has a lead! I attached a photo of the part.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 12.59.08 PM.png
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/25/2021 06:15 PM

If you can find one,
Heard you might be able to modify a hobie 16 mast to work on a Getaway
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/25/2021 06:22 PM

You might check at Leverick..I know they had a couple of "Waves" and maybe a 16..might well have some spares..
Posted By: dlparch

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/25/2021 07:23 PM

The comp tip was a 6'-0" long reinforced resin insert that Hobie supplied as a retrofit addition, mainly for people that sailed in freshwater lakes. They would sail under power lines that extended across the bodies of water. There were quite a few tragic electrocutions (e.g. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/E...lectrocution-36-Years-Ago-439730603.html). You had to saw off the top 6'-0" to insert it, and it didn't help with anything like weight.

If you're sailing around the BVI's, most sailboats have masts that are much taller, and they don't use or need anything like comp tips. Just grab a Hobie16 or 14 stock mast. I think even a Hobie 18 mast might work, but you would have to cut it down.

Btw, the illustration shown has the silver adaptor shown for a using a "Mama Bob": you can get that to keep your Hobie from turtling once you've capsized. Which you will because it's so much fun to take it to the limit.

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/26/2021 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
You might check at Leverick..I know they had a couple of "Waves" and maybe a 16..might well have some spares..

Thanks Manpot. Already tried this frown no such luck for me

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/26/2021 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by dlparch
The comp tip was a 6'-0" long reinforced resin insert that Hobie supplied as a retrofit addition, mainly for people that sailed in freshwater lakes. They would sail under power lines that extended across the bodies of water. There were quite a few tragic electrocutions (e.g. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/E...lectrocution-36-Years-Ago-439730603.html). You had to saw off the top 6'-0" to insert it, and it didn't help with anything like weight.

If you're sailing around the BVI's, most sailboats have masts that are much taller, and they don't use or need anything like comp tips. Just grab a Hobie16 or 14 stock mast. I think even a Hobie 18 mast might work, but you would have to cut it down.

Btw, the illustration shown has the silver adaptor shown for a using a "Mama Bob": you can get that to keep your Hobie from turtling once you've capsized. Which you will because it's so much fun to take it to the limit.

That is actually very good advice, but I don't think there are any Hobie 16, 14 or 18 masts lying around in the BVI!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/26/2021 06:27 PM

There were a bunch of 16's in Trellis Bay, Tortola..might well be worth checking there...I'd take a tsroll down to the far end and look around..
Posted By: jbuch02

Re: Seeking Hobie Getaway Comptip - 01/26/2021 09:24 PM

Manpot, sent you a PM, check your mailbox.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline