TravelTalkOnline

Where is testing done ?

Posted By: Jersey1

Where is testing done ? - 10/03/2021 09:37 PM

Hi All,
besides the Binax eMed option, Is there a physical location where the test can be taken. ? Like a clinic or Dr's office, or maybe the Dr makes a house/villa calls as there are 10 of us.

thanks
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/03/2021 10:36 PM

I am assuming you are asking about a test in order to re-enter the USVI . . . ??

The clinics on JVD and VG will do PCR Testing (they will take the sample). The hospital in Road Town does PCR sampling and they house the lab that processes all(? I think) the PCR tests in the BVI. Several other clinics on Tortola will take samples for PCR testing (B&F, Eureka, MD Link, Penn, PicSmith). The only one that I personally know of that is doing rapid tests is The Wellness Center at Pier Park in Road Town. There are some concierge services but I am not aware of the details of those.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 03:35 PM

We’re a group of 8 heading down first week of December. Using Dolphin Water taxi for transport from STT to the BVI’s. They suggested for the return to USVI to bring with us the Abbot Binax test kits with us. From what I understand you log into an app that takes you virtually to a nurse who proctors the test. Can anyone tell me what happens from there?

Dolphin also suggested we each bring two tests just in case.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by CottageGirl
We’re a group of 8 heading down first week of December. Using Dolphin Water taxi for transport from STT to the BVI’s. They suggested for the return to USVI to bring with us the Abbot Binax test kits with us. From what I understand you log into an app that takes you virtually to a nurse who proctors the test. Can anyone tell me what happens from there?

Dolphin also suggested we each bring two tests just in case.

After you are connected to a proctor, they go thru the following steps:
- show the proctor your govt. ID so they can capture an image
- open the sealed box on the video so they can see it's unopened
- show the proctor the liquid vial, swab package, and test folder
- hold the test folder up to the camera to scan the QR Code
- open the test folder and place on flat surface in front of the camera
- place 6 drops of liquid into a hole in the folder
- open the testing swab, insert into each nostril and take a sample by circling each nostril 5 times
- place the swab into a hole in the test folder and spin 3 times
- close and seal test folder
- the proctor will drop off and start a 15 minute timer
After 15 minutes, a new proctor will come online
- hold the test folder up to the camera to scan the QR Code
- show the test results to the proctor and verbally confirm you see the same results
- your app will be updated with the results and you'll get an email with the lab results in a PDF file

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 08:23 PM

I believe the test Jason described can only be purchased from eMed (in lots of 6) or from Optum (smaller lots).

eMed store link: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack
Optum store link: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

The are not the same as the kits available in retail pharmacies.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ecm56
I believe the test Jason described can only be purchased from eMed (in lots of 6) or from Optum (smaller lots).

eMed store link: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack
Optum store link: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

The are not the same as the kits available in retail pharmacies.

Yep. 100% correct. I have not taken the Optum test but I would think it's a similar process.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 08:31 PM

I think it is exactly the same test just a different sales site. eMed even mentions the tests are available in smaller quantities from Optum.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 08:41 PM

I didn't realize that, but it's very handy. Looks like they have a 3 pack for $99.99 too.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/04/2021 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
I didn't realize that, but it's very handy. Looks like they have a 3 pack for $99.99 too.

Yes. We purchased a 3-pack for our up-coming trip.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 02:27 PM

Thanks for the information!! Very helpful.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 02:42 PM

Thanks for the 3 pack info! I am traveling solo and buying 6 was kinda crazy since now they may expire quickly and 2 didnt allow for that extra coming in should I get a false positive and want to retest on my own.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 06:21 PM

Just read on the Abbott site that the tests expire December 2021. Ugh. I was going to buy 6, use 2 for my husband and I for our December trip (4 if necessary) and then save the other 2 for our February 2022 trip. One of our crew said she had to key in a name & date of birth assigned to each test kit.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 06:25 PM

Just read on the Abbott site that the tests expire December 2021. Ugh. I was going to buy 6, use 2 for my husband and I for our December trip (4 if necessary) and then save the other 2 for our February 2022 trip. One of our crew said she had to key in a name & date of birth assigned to each test kit.

The kit is only assigned to the person at the time it's taken. There is a person associated with the purchase but it has nothing to do with who uses them. Trust me on that, I ordered 12 and only 2 were used by me but they were all used successfully.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 06:31 PM

Jason, thank you! Geez this sh&* is confusing!

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 06:31 PM

In the FAQ section on eMed they explain they were granted an extension so the kits are good for 12 months.

link

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 06:53 PM

I agree Cottage Girl....very confusing. No wonder why when we all finally get to the islands we need a good stiff Painkiller!
Jason ~ thanks for the link. It would be nice if emed put that right on the order page or referenced that instead of the big warning that the kits you are about to buy are close to expiring instead of sort of burying it in the FAQ's.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 07:06 PM

The ones we purchased last month had an expiration date of Sept. 30, 2021 on the box. There is a notice on the label that the expiration date is extended 3 months past the expiration date, so that would be Dec. 31, 2021. Here is a link to lot numbers for expiration dates.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/COVID-19-Ag-Card-Product-Expiry-Update.pdf
https://www.tchd.org/DocumentCenter/View/9226/Expiry-date-extension-regarding-BinaxNOW-COVID-19-Ag-Card-Home-Test?bidId=#:~:text=On%20April%206%2C%202021%2C%20the,additional%20three%20(3)%20months.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bagsarepacked
...instead of the big warning that the kits you are about to buy are close to expiring instead of sort of burying it in the FAQ's.

I don't see the warning anywhere. What website did you see that on?

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 10:21 PM

Emed, you see it when you click the order now link

"The test kits you are about to purchase from eMed have been approved for use by the FDA at least through December 1, 2021, after which they will expire. It’s possible the test kits you order from eMed may have an expiration date later in December 2021, but we cannot guarantee that. eMed looks forward to offering COVID-19 test kits with longer expiration dates in the near future. If you are interested in purchasing a lesser amount of tests, please visit the Optum store."

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/05/2021 11:30 PM

There may be another factor at play here. There was some discussion a few months ago that the CDC might want to drive a transition to tests that would detect both COVID-19 and Influenza. The way they would do that would be to sunset the emergency use authorization for the COVID-19 (only) tests. I haven't heard anything about it lately and I am hoping that means they have dropped the idea.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/06/2021 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ecm56
There may be another factor at play here. There was some discussion a few months ago that the CDC might want to drive a transition to tests that would detect both COVID-19 and Influenza. The way they would do that would be to sunset the emergency use authorization for the COVID-19 (only) tests. I haven't heard anything about it lately and I am hoping that means they have dropped the idea.

Well now eMed is out of stock so it directs you to Optum which says "There is a nationwide short supply of Covid Antigen tests therefore your test kit may expire as soon as December 21, 2021". The good news is you could order 2, 3, or 4 for your November trip and just order more if you want them for February.

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/08/2021 01:27 PM

Got my 3 pack yesterday from Optum (of coarse as requirements into USVI appear to be changing LOL) I cannot see where they have an expiration date......can anyone find one on the outside of their boxes? Do I need the even stronger reading glasses? The odd thing is it says not to open and has a sleeve over the box and an adhesive seal that needs better adhesive.....but the end of the box is openable....but I dare not try to investigate with my luck LOL

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/08/2021 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bagsarepacked
Got my 3 pack yesterday from Optum (of coarse as requirements into USVI appear to be changing LOL) I cannot see where they have an expiration date......can anyone find one on the outside of their boxes? Do I need the even stronger reading glasses? The odd thing is it says not to open and has a sleeve over the box and an adhesive seal that needs better adhesive.....but the end of the box is openable....but I dare not try to investigate with my luck LOL

The expiration date is next to an ⌛. There is a 3 month extension past that date.
Posted By: kajunlady61

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/08/2021 01:34 PM

What has changed with the USVI requirements? We arrive 10/14. It's impossible to keep up with this stuff.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/08/2021 02:04 PM

The changes to the USVI arrival requirements have really only been two things. They eliminated accepting a positive antibody test and dropped the 2 day rule on testing if coming from the BVI. It’s back to 5 days prior.
Posted By: kajunlady61

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/08/2021 05:09 PM

Thank you
Posted By: kilpach

Re: Where is testing done ? - 10/09/2021 06:03 PM

Thank you Jason....this is incredibly helpful!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline