TravelTalkOnline

Masks in BVI's?

Posted By: CottageGirl

Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 01:23 PM

What is the current mask requirement in the BVI's? We're headed down 11/29. Obviously we need them for plane travel, but what about water taxi? Restaurants? Bars?
Is outdoors ok to go maskless? I'm thinking of all the times hanging out on the beach, near a beach bar (ie Soggy Dollar). What's the requirement and the norm?

Thanks!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 01:38 PM

Yes, you'll need them for the water taxi and all testing/customs/immigration when you arrive at West End. Also in a taxi if you use one. Most drivers will ask you to hand sanitize on your way in and out of the vehicle.

Basically, you need to wear masks indoors at all businesses. Also required outside if you can't maintain a 6 ft. social distance. In bars/restaurants you wear your mask until you are seated. Some places may ask you to keep it on until a drink is placed on the table but this practice is disappearing. If you get up to walk to the bar or restroom, masks should be put back on. Also wear them to exit the restaurant.

When you are hanging outdoors, nobody expects you to wear a mask unless you are very close to someone outside your travel party. If you get up and walk to get a new painkiller from Leon at Soggy Dollar, you should wear a mask to the bar.

Every place will have hand sanitizer right outside or inside the door and expect you to use it.

Some stores have temperature machines at the entrance and generally you just scan your wrist and will get a green light.

Some restaurants will do a temperature check and collect contact information for contact tracing (very rare).

Let me know if you have more questions.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 05:28 PM

Jason - as always thanks for the details!
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 05:44 PM

Jason, how are neck gators received when in the open air places to eat and drink...using your example of Soggys? I usually have one on for sun protection which makes it handy if places are ok w that vs a formal mask when ordering a drink or heading to the washroom. Just one less thing for me to carry, and most likely loose along the way.

Thanks!

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 06:16 PM

I'll just say it's not a mask. Everyone has their own opinion on it and mine is not overly popular. Best advice I can give is don't try wearing it during your arrival and dealing with the Health Services Authority for testing or Immigration or Customs.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/15/2021 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bagsarepacked
Jason, how are neck gators received when in the open air places to eat and drink...using your example of Soggys? I usually have one on for sun protection which makes it handy if places are ok w that vs a formal mask when ordering a drink or heading to the washroom. Just one less thing for me to carry, and most likely loose along the way.

Thanks!

During this pandemic I have traveled to Tahiti, USVI's and BVI's and there was a case in every spot that someone tried to use a neck gaiter and was asked to put on a mask. Even watched a guy argue trying to get on a flight and he was asked to deplane or put on a mask. So...I would recommend having your mask with you everytime you go ashore. Once you are down there it is really hard to remember to grab a mask before you go ashore because you are in vacation mode. During our first pandemic trip in October of last year, I can't tell you how many times we had to go back to the boat to grab someone's mask! For trips after that, I just bought a bunch of disposable masks and we keep them in the dry bag that we take ashore. I hate all things disposable so for this next trip I'm asking everyone to bring a "dry bag mask" that will just stay in the dry bag for trips ashore.
Posted By: toast

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/16/2021 12:21 PM

I have few lanyard masks I bought on St John last summer. Best invention, alway around your neck like you reading glasses!! lol just an option.

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/16/2021 12:28 PM

Not specifically mask related, but the BVI government eliminated the curfew effective yesterday, eliminated restrictions on gatherings, and reduced social distancing requirements to 3 feet.

Active cases are down to 4.

No change to masks at this time.
Posted By: Bo Scott

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/16/2021 12:50 PM

just in time for our trip on the 20th!

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/16/2021 10:02 PM

Thanks everyone...I do agree and will happily wear my mask. So many people here where I live do wear anything even when its required.

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/16/2021 10:03 PM

Toast~ great idea! Think I will make myself a fun one smile

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/17/2021 07:51 PM

FYI - I did an unscientific survey yesterday. Out of about 50 people on the boat from JVD to West End, there were 3 people wearing gaiters/bandanas instead of masks.

The boat hand was diligent about asking everyone to put their mask on before boarding and even to someone they could not open a beer for the ride because he was not allowed to remove his mask to drink it (didn't matter, beer was still gone before we cleared the last channel marker).

As an added bonus, there were dolphins along side the boat half way across.

Re: Masks in BVI's? - 10/18/2021 01:24 PM

Thanks Jason!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline