TravelTalkOnline

New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy

Posted By: GeoChand

New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/01/2021 04:36 PM

Hello all,
Virgin poster here. We are headed to BVI 1/22 and some of us want to try our hand at catching some dinner.
We fish regularly in the states, Great Lakes mostly. We are taking our own light rods and reels (light weight). What would be your recommendations on how to rig, where to fish and what to bring with us (as opposed to finding some place to buy our outfits down there).
Any help is appreciated.....thanks in advance.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/01/2021 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GeoChand
Hello all,
Virgin poster here. We are headed to BVI 1/22 and some of us want to try our hand at catching some dinner.
We fish regularly in the states, Great Lakes mostly. We are taking our own light rods and reels (light weight). What would be your recommendations on how to rig, where to fish and what to bring with us (as opposed to finding some place to buy our outfits down there).
Any help is appreciated.....thanks in advance.

You'll need to check with your charter company and find out if your boat is registered for fishing. Assuming it is, you'll all need individual licenses as well. There are companies here that rent gear and will help coordinate your fishing licenses.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/01/2021 04:48 PM

Suggest renting appropriate equipment from one of the dive shops.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/01/2021 07:54 PM

,,,, and do a search on this forum for "fishing" threads. Lots of good info from past anglers.

Barracuda, Spanish, and Mahi will be fun on light tackle!
Posted By: Husker

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/01/2021 11:43 PM

We caught 5 mahi last week. Great fun!
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/02/2021 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Husker
We caught 5 mahi last week. Great fun!

Can I ask where??? Congrats
Posted By: Husker

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/02/2021 02:18 PM

Jagmaster - Sure. We got two on our way from Anegada to Scrub in the morning. Late in the day we got 3 more heading out toward Kingfish Banks. They were all nice size. Catch and release.

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/02/2021 03:00 PM

TY. All BVIYC are registered fishing boats.

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/02/2021 03:01 PM

TY
Posted By: nevar37

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/02/2021 06:49 PM

Fiona at BVI SUP can help with the fishing license. I used wire leader when trolling, I used small Zuker's feathers-mexican flag. If your boat has lights, the tarpon will be there and use a short wire leader. One Mart has frozen squid.

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/07/2021 03:38 PM

thanks Nevar
Posted By: Matt W

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/13/2021 02:16 PM

We've hooked up on mahi at the drop, SE of Norman Island. It's also fun to troll over the Chikuzen wreck between Anegada and JVD - lots of big fish on it. Try trolling one surface lure and another diving. For surface, I like the Iland Illanders. You can also rig these skirts up with dead bait (ballyhoos). For diving, we've had success with Rapala X-Rap Magnums and Yozuri Bonitas. If you want to learn some more, I wrote a bit about our approach on my website.

https://yachtwarriors.com/sailboat-fishing-guide-how-to-fish-from-a-sailboat/

Good luck!!

Re: New to fishing BVI....cat with dingy - 12/21/2021 02:09 PM

Thanks for the insight Matt. I will be sure to check out your page.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline