TravelTalkOnline

Ginger Island Anchorage?

Posted By: Matt W

Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/06/2022 04:46 PM

Does anyone have any experience anchoring at Ginger Island? Is it possible to get through the reef at Wedgeo Bay? Hard to tell from charts and no info on Garmin AC. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/06/2022 04:58 PM

I would say no. Google Earth shows white water at the cut in the reef.
Posted By: capttom

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/06/2022 05:17 PM

Yeah that would be a NO especially in a charter boat. Im sure someone will pipe up and say they have done it, but in very settled weather in their own vessel with a lot of experience and an experienced spotter with the complete understanding that the salvage in the event of a mishap would be complicated and expensive. Not for the faint of heart by any means.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/06/2022 06:54 PM

I talked to a Moorings captain who has entered on a dinghy. He said he wouldn't try it on a charter boat.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/06/2022 07:29 PM

Done it on a calm day on a center console plenty of times. Definitely do NOT do in rough conditions or on any sort of charter boat (cat or mono)

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/07/2022 06:04 PM

Thanks all - would definitely not attempt on a sailboat. Asked out of curiosity since it's an island you don't hear much about for the BVIs. Have heard people go in there though. Only way I'd consider stopping here was as a day stop - anchor at South Bay (if possible, not sure what bottom is like). Take the dingy over to Wedgeo Bay in settled conditions. Long, wet dinghy ride though.

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/07/2022 06:40 PM

Some decent close up shots of the channel here:

https://www.privateislandsonline.com/caribbean/british-virgin-islands/ginger-island
Posted By: vytis104

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/07/2022 06:55 PM

Under contract! Hasnt this been for sale for quite some time?
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Ginger Island Anchorage? - 01/07/2022 10:32 PM

@Matt W --- TY //// excellent views
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline