TravelTalkOnline

Where to stay on Tortola before charter?

Posted By: juice13

Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 03:25 PM

We have a bareboat catamaran booked in July out of Tortola and found AA tickets direct to EIS for $600, but coming in two nights early. At the advice of this forum we are skipping the STT and ferry mess since COVID.

Any recommendations for two nights on the hard? We were thinking staying on Tortola to simplify transportation and baggage. Likely to do a little provisioning as well. Maybe see some of the island that we normally don’t from the boat? It’ll be our sixth trip down, second since Irma, first since COVID.

Budget is ideally around $200 a night. Family of four, two kids 7 and 10.

Thanks!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 03:39 PM

PM Manpot on here. He has a nice place that could be perfect for you.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 03:44 PM

MIght be a tough budget but Columbus Sunset or Myett's are both in Cane Garden Bay and would give you walking access to groceries, beach, and restaurants.
Posted By: dlparch

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 04:21 PM

If you're departing from Road Town w/charter companies like BVI Yacht Charters or Moorings, try Humming Bird B & B (no breakfast due to Covid though). It's walking distance to RiteWay/Cash & Carry/Ticos/Caribbean Cellars/French Deli. It's uphill, maybe less than half mile from charter bases. We've stayed there and it was great. Owners lives on premises, very knowledgeable about BVI's.

http://www.hummingbirdbvi.com/
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 04:24 PM

I haven't been, but heard good things, you could try Maria's By the Sea - it in Road Town, has a restaurant, pool, and close to the ferry dock - should even hit the budget. Not at the beach, but should be good for a couple of days!

Good luck!
Posted By: bailau

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Time Will Tell
I haven't been, but heard good things, you could try Maria's By the Sea - it in Road Town, has a restaurant, pool, and close to the ferry dock - should even hit the budget. Not at the beach, but should be good for a couple of days!

Good luck!

We have been to Maria's a few times and it is a good place...and right across the street from Pussers

Nice thing is you can provision at the cash and carry/Riteway and Ticos as dlparch notes
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 04:56 PM

My place would probably not suit 4 of you..take Jason's advice..I'd much rather stay on Tortola's North Shore and enjoy the beaches, ocean and bars than sit in Road Town for two days. Jason's place (Coconut Breeze) is lovely BTW and worth checking out for maybe a few $$ more. One other option right on the sand if you dont mind basic is Rhymer's on CGB..
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 05:10 PM

What about the Elm? Is it not still open?
Posted By: Standrea

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 06:30 PM

Nanny Cay Hotel is great for the kids. They have a huge pool and beach, restaurant and rooms are great.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/07/2022 09:03 PM

We've stayed at Nanny Cay - great pool for the kids like Standrea said above. We've also stayed at an Airbnb in Cane Garden Bay - here >> https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/989780...fizQzvmShnRXuK&guests=1&adults=1
The Airbnb location is great - just up the hill from beaches and the place is roomy for 2 adults and 2 kids. Price point hits as well!
Posted By: juice13

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/08/2022 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations! Nanny Cay looks to be a convenient spot in our price point. We really are just coming in late on a Monday, on the boat Wednesday morning, and can't beat the convenience to the marina and provisioning.

Thanks again!
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/12/2022 10:37 PM

recommend renting a car for a few days
Posted By: Tarheelnani

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/13/2022 03:55 PM

We are coming in just 1 day early but need a place to stay June 3rd for 2. I'd like to be close to Road Town because we are bareboat chartering thru the Moorings.
We will not have a car, but will be getting some of the provisions before our adult children come in the next day.We have stayed at the Mariner before and it wasn't great.
Thanks ahead of time!
Tarheelnani
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 01/13/2022 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tarheelnani
We are coming in just 1 day early but need a place to stay June 3rd for 2. I'd like to be close to Road Town because we are bareboat chartering thru the Moorings.
We will not have a car, but will be getting some of the provisions before our adult children come in the next day.We have stayed at the Mariner before and it wasn't great.
Thanks ahead of time!
Tarheelnani

For the convenience and a single night, I'd stick with the Mariner. You could try Maria's but I doubt it's any better.
Posted By: Tarheelnani

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 03/30/2022 03:26 PM

Has anyone stayed at Village cay- we now have party of 4 for june 3rd and mariner is booked? any other suggestions- 4 adults.
Thanks so much
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 03/30/2022 03:51 PM

I did once, before Irma. Would recommend Maria's.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Where to stay on Tortola before charter? - 03/30/2022 05:05 PM

We stayed at Village Cay in November 2019. It served its purpose and was close to downtown. Staff was super friendly. I've also stayed at Maria's and I would stay at either place again.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline