TravelTalkOnline

Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves?

Posted By: DonBuck

Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 01/14/2022 09:24 PM

Hearing some horror stories of either odd substitutions for delivered provisions or lack of availability of basics or bare shelves. Any experiences with bringing in food/supplies? I am aware of the need to declare and (possibly) pay duties. We used to freeze meats, full lasagnas, and bring hard to find items all the time but a little concerned with my upcoming charter.

Also, will they string you up if you do your own shopping (Rite Way, Ticos, Bobby's) in RT so you are sure you get what you want? Are the shelves as bare as I've heard?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 01/14/2022 10:31 PM

We were down last month. Shelves are not bare but there were items we could not find: tortillas, any kind of English muffin or naan bread or pitas, sour cream, sunscreen (they had spf 4 or 100), no diet pop or mixers. We brought a cooler with meats, cheese and butter. Since we came in on a private water taxi it was never mentioned nor were we asked to pay a tax.

Headed down next month and will be bringing a cooler and tucking as much dry non perishable as we can in our luggage. Will still shop on site and, yes, we still spend plenty on food & drinks out.

So, it’s not bare shelves but definitely not everything we needed.
Posted By: Flynny70

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/01/2022 08:51 PM

If provisioning in Tortola (Road Town), who does everyone recommend using? Both food and booze? Thanks
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/01/2022 08:56 PM

I shop at Riteway but oddly have always had better provisioning luck at Bobby's. Booze is tough. To get the best price, you have order from the importer of each product (Tico, Caribbean Cellars, or Riteway). Most provision companies carry most brands but the markups vary.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/01/2022 09:14 PM

Donbuck - to address your mention of frozen foods - we brought frozen prime meats and other items the last three trips (June, November and January) in a Polar Bear backpack cooler, so not big hauls but still sizable. Declared the contents each trip. No issues and no requested duty.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/02/2022 03:06 PM

Just finished placing our provisioning order for our trip next week. Used Riteway for groceries - we'll see what shows up. We'll shop in person for what doesn't show up.
Used Caribbean Cellars for liquor - they have been great about corresponding with me about what they are out of and offering substitutions.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/02/2022 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by CottageGirl
Just finished placing our provisioning order for our trip next week. Used Riteway for groceries - we'll see what shows up. We'll shop in person for what doesn't show up.
Used Caribbean Cellars for liquor - they have been great about corresponding with me about what they are out of and offering substitutions.

Caribbean Cellars is wonderful - always so proactive. I have never had issues with them.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Bringing in provisions / food? Bare Shelves? - 02/02/2022 08:07 PM

Dont see any serious problems down here right now.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline