TravelTalkOnline

Snorkeling near Saba Rock

Posted By: CaptnAndy

Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/04/2022 07:45 PM

We planning our upcoming trip in March, and I've been reading about snorkeling near Saba Rock.
We've gone into Eustatia Sound and found the cannons and anchor, but it sounds like there might
be a good snorkel spot off the backside of Saba Rock?

Anyone have any experience snorkeling near Saba Rock?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/04/2022 07:55 PM

There is a decent reef behind Saba. Even one cannon there. It’s shallow but easy to Snorkle.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/04/2022 08:04 PM

The north side of Prickly Pear has decent snorkeling, too
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/05/2022 01:25 PM

How do you get to the reef behind Saba Rock? Do you dingy over (and to where) or can you swim from Saba Rock or a mooring ball?
Posted By: Husker

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/05/2022 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by CaptnAndy
We planning our upcoming trip in March, and I've been reading about snorkeling near Saba Rock.
We've gone into Eustatia Sound and found the cannons and anchor, but it sounds like there might
be a good snorkel spot off the backside of Saba Rock?

Anyone have any experience snorkeling near Saba Rock?

Capt Andy - We were searching for those cannons yesterday. Can you describe where they are?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/05/2022 01:49 PM

We used to just dinghy over and let the dinghy drift with us. You can swim it from some moorings or from Saba. Swimming from the Moorings I recommend early in the day before the drunks start driving dinghy’s.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/05/2022 01:55 PM

There's a snorkeling spot along the reef running from Saba east toward Oil Nut....called "Jardines de Coral" on my chart. We were there a couple days ago before the big swells started. There is also a reef on the north side of Eustatia Sound running west from Eustatia Is that is good for snorkeling. They can be accessed via dinghy from the Saba anchorage or you can anchor your boat pretty close in calm seas.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/05/2022 02:25 PM

Great info - have always wanted to check out the snorkeling here and explore the Prickly Pear east beach that faces Eustatia island but never seem to find the time.
Posted By: CaptnAndy

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/06/2022 07:25 PM

Take your dinghy past Saba Rock into Eustatia Sound. Head toward the reef about 1/2? mile East of Eustatia Island.
There should be a white mooring ball that you can tie up to. The cannons are in about 10 feet of water. When you find the first one, the other is 30 or 40 feet away.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Snorkeling near Saba Rock - 02/06/2022 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by CaptnAndy
Take your dinghy past Saba Rock into Eustatia Sound. Head toward the reef about 1/2? mile East of Eustatia Island.
There should be a white mooring ball that you can tie up to. The cannons are in about 10 feet of water. When you find the first one, the other is 30 or 40 feet away.

Thank you!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline