TravelTalkOnline

Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht

Posted By: ndfaninnc

Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 01:49 PM

Happy Birthday Jason. For the last two years you have been extremely helpful with your local knowledge in helping all of us reach our vacation goals. You have answered all of questions (sometimes multiple times) without hesitation. I personally thank you and hope you have a great birthday. I look forward to buying you drinks at Tipsy's in the near future.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 02:18 PM

Indeed..happy birthday my friend..One Love.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 03:15 PM

Happy Birthday Jason! Enjoy it in good health and with friends!
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 03:45 PM

Jason is the best ambassador for the BVI! My guess is his local knowledge and willingness to answer questions has sent far more people back the BVI than any ad campaign from the islands.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 03:57 PM

Happy Birthday Jason!
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 04:08 PM

Happy Birthday! Hope you are gifted with a full cistern.
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 04:26 PM

agree 100% with SunnyKM, Jason is a great Ambassador! Thanks again for all of your help last year, hope to see you both sooner than later this year! Happy birthday to you!!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 05:36 PM

Happy Birthday Jason!! Your wisdom (and patience!) has been invaluable. Hope to meet you in person one of these trips.
Posted By: Jon Resnick

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/03/2022 11:26 PM

Happy Birthday Jason! You've been a great resource as I've planned my 'big trip'. We'll be down March 7-30 (10-30) on the boat. Hope I'll be able to buy you a beer.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 12:52 AM

Happy Birthday, Jason!
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 02:02 AM

Happy birthday, Jason! You are indeed a valuable and tireless source of no-nonsense information. Thanks for all you do.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 01:33 PM

Thanks all! Was an interesting birthday to say the least.

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Thanks all! Was an interesting birthday to say the least.

Care to expand on that? Haha! Just hoping it was the good day you deserved.

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 03:18 PM

Care to expand on that? Haha! Just hoping it was the good day you deserved. [/quote]
Sure. Was going to post a cautionary note sometime soon anyway.

We purchased Agape Cottages in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola and relocated from the US in January 2017 (over a 3 year process to get approved by the BVI government). As everyone knows, Hurricane Irma visited 8 months later and destroyed the property and shut us down; cautionary tale - consider business interruption coverage. Spent more money to rebuild than to purchase and stayed closed for 18 months. Then along came Irma's bitchy sister, COVID. All rebuilt but the country is now closed for 18 more months; cautionary tale - probably nothing to learn here. 2022 is shaping up pretty well, property is full of guests and CGB is alive again. 9 February I don't feel right great and have weakness on my left side. Feel like the worst possible scenario; health issue on Tortola. Off to Peebles Hospital as it looks like a stroke is possibly going on. They determine (pretty efficiently) that no stroke is happening but there is a brain issue of some sort that needs addressed. Also, they quickly identify that the BVI cannot treat Neuro issues or deal with the likely potential of cancer. Must leave island; cautionary tale - medical evacuation coverage is critical if you want to live/travel somewhere like the BVI with limited resources. No wifi or cell service at the hospital to contact family/friends or organize evacuation efficiently. Saturday, 12 February the cavalry from MEDJET.COM arrives and off we go. Peebles->EIS->SJU (for immigration/fuel) ->FL (more fuel) -> OH (for the Ohio State University Medical Center). Not exactly the 1st private jet experience I was hoping for. 17 February, Neurosurgery to remove a 5-inch brain tumor. Strength and coordination slowly returning. Heading home for a quick break and some sun next week then back to Ohio for a while. 3 March I'm well enough to drive and have a great steak dinner with a great bottle of red wine in a real restaurant (although I would have traded it for Brandywine Estate any day).

Lessons learned:
- get the business insurance
- get the travel insurance; I'm told it was a $50k flight to get to OH; insurance policy is $1k/year.
- get the evacuation insurance that takes you all the way to hospital of choice instead of closest facility; the BVI doctors wanted to send me to Miami where we know nobody
- pick a good hospital.
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 03:44 PM

OH wow Jason, so sorry to hear all of that but geez so glad you are "OK" !! Thanks for sharing, sending huge healing vibes and love!!!

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 03:48 PM

Wow! So glad to hear you survived all that and are on the mend. Also happy for the positive feedback on MedJet.

On the business insurance, our neighbors paid that for years. After Irma, they didn't collect a penny. Had to refund $$$$ to booked renters because we had no dock and no electricity. Insurance company said they had water in their cistern and renters could run a generator.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 03:58 PM

Wow, wow, wow. Best wishes!!

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife

On the business insurance, our neighbors paid that for years. After Irma, they didn't collect a penny. Had to refund $$$$ to booked renters because we had no dock and no electricity. Insurance company said they had water in their cistern and renters could run a generator.

That's pretty discouraging. Any idea who their carrier was?

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 04:31 PM

Holy crap Jason! That is the very least I was expecting to hear from you. Thank you for letting us know. Sounds like you are now on the road to recovery. Prayers to you my friend.

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 05:01 PM

CIL was the agent; I can ask who underwrote it.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 06:10 PM

Happy Birthday and thank you for always helping confused travelers. Prayers for your continued recovery!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 06:56 PM

When you get back I'm buying your birthday dinner!
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/04/2022 07:15 PM

Happy Birthday and agreed your input , resources and time are so so appreciated !

We will be in CGB April 8-10 . Hope to see you if you are around . Staying at the Elm
Posted By: Husker

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/06/2022 02:06 PM

Wow, what a sobering tale, Jason. Glad it was a happy ending. Best wishes for continued recovery and a happy birthday. And many, many thanks for all your invaluable contributions to this forum.

Chris
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/06/2022 09:32 PM

Jason: so sorry to hear all of this! Your ability to go with the flow (whether you have a choice or not) and stay positive is inspiring! Thank you for sharing so that we can all send good thoughts your way. We will be at our place on St. Thomas for all of May with a 10 day stint over to the BVI for some sailing. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you or bring from The States.

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/09/2022 02:30 PM

Jason, I know it hasn't quite been a week. But how are you doing my friend? Still in Ohio?

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/09/2022 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ndfaninnc
Jason, I know it hasn't quite been a week. But how are you doing my friend? Still in Ohio?

Had a nightmare trip back to the BVI thanks to United Airlines. I always fly Delta but booking last minute and really needing 1st class seats, United was my only option (NEVER again). 30 hours after leaving Columbus, we made it back to Tortola. Had my first full nights sleep in 4 weeks in our own bed!

Happy to be home even for a quick break! Thanks for asking.
Posted By: Jodyt

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/09/2022 03:10 PM

Prayers for a full recovery and an uneventful year ahead! Take care and enjoy the sunshine!

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/09/2022 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Had a nightmare trip back to the BVI thanks to United Airlines. I always fly Delta but booking last minute and really needing 1st class seats, United was my only option (NEVER again). 30 hours after leaving Columbus, we made it back to Tortola. Had my first full nights sleep in 4 weeks in our own bed!

Happy to be home even for a quick break! Thanks for asking.

Wow. 30 hours from Columbus to Tortola is absolutely ridiculous. Glad you are home. Hope your recovery goes smoother.

Re: Happy Birthday Jason Helmbrecht - 03/09/2022 05:09 PM

Wow. 30 hours from Columbus to Tortola is absolutely ridiculous. Glad you are home. Hope your recovery goes smoother.

Yep. Would have been even longer if not for Air Bode Caribbean. It was 29 hour to get to them and then they had us in Tortola and thru Health, Immigration, and Customs in another hour. I know air charters seem very expensive but if you can fill a plane it's worth considering. $420pp one way for SJU-EIS but I see that fare on Cape Air quite frequently. Was a great flight on a nice clean King Air with someone on the EIS end to walk you thru the whole process. We never even spoke to an immigration officer.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline