TravelTalkOnline

Passport dilemma..

Posted By: Manpot

Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 03:30 PM

I have a UK Passport that expires Jan 23, next year. To renew I have to send my current passport back to the UK. I plan on returning to the BVIs early June and returning beginning of August. My original plan was to renew my passport now but I worry I wont get it back before I want to leave..or wait til I get back next time which puts me just outside the 6 months....does that silly rule apply to re enter the US from the BVI's?? I dont think it does but would love to hear. I'd rather renew in August because I wont be going back for about three months then..Love to hear from the experts ..thanks as always..
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 03:46 PM

Mal, when we were down last June my passport expired in November. I didn’t have any problem. I’ve seen posts from others who have said that the six-month thing does not apply, and that as long as yours doesn’t expire before your date of departure from the BVI, no problem.
Posted By: rm3

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 03:49 PM

I'm not an expert and it would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually tested this but I found a few things and here ae the summaries and links where I found them-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements
If you are visiting the USA your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-905?language=en_US
As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the United States, however, the U.S. has signed agreements with a number of countries to waive this requirement. When such an agreement is in place, the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor's intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required.

It’s confusing and convoluted, but it’s found here: https://fam.state.gov/searchapps/vi...ks=D&url=/FAM/09FAM/09FAM040309.html
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 03:58 PM

We've had some people travel into the BVI with passports that are expiring soon. As long as your passport is valid for your length of stay, it's fine for BVI Immigration.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 04:07 PM

Thanks..as I have a green card for the US I'm sure I'm fine and will stick with plan B..renew in August ( might as well get as much out of it as possible too). Jason..looking forward to seeing you then for some cold ones with Tiff...
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Thanks..as I have a green card for the US I'm sure I'm fine and will stick with plan B..renew in August ( might as well get as much out of it as possible too). Jason..looking forward to seeing you then for some cold ones with Tiff...

Great; planning to be back in May sometime (hopefully earlier than later)!
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/08/2022 06:56 PM

Mal... Passport renewal is chaotic here in the UK. Personally, I'd get into the BVI and then send it to the UK and just sit in CRC and wait for it to come back.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Passport dilemma.. - 04/09/2022 01:12 PM

My cousin just got into the BVI and back to US with an expired US passport.

Certainly wouldn't recommend this lol, but just saying it happened
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline