TravelTalkOnline

Trellis Bay

Posted By: RacerRon

Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 11:50 AM

We are returning to our favorite place on the planet in a few months, and we are sorting out a “loose” itinerary.
None of us have ever been to Trellis Bay, but I’m thinking we may want to visit this trip. A few in our group are artists (some professional) and from what I’ve gathered, Aragorn’s studio might be something they would enjoy. I haven’t seen much mentioned about it in awhile, and I’d like anyone’s input!
Would you overnight there, or at Marina Cay and dinghy over?

Thanks, RW
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 12:50 PM

Depending on the wave action and size of your dingy, the dingy ride could be wet from Marina Cay. But it's not far and not difficult, just something to be aware of. We stayed at Marina Cay last time and used the dingy to Trellis. Next time we will stay at Trellis. We found the Scrub shuttle annoying.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 01:53 PM

What date is "a few months"? If you're talking about December, and the Christmas winds are blowing, then a dingy ride from Marina Cay to Trellis won't be fun. It was so bad last December that the waves swept over the bow of our 13' Whaler while moored to the market floating dock. Which can be another issue: dock space at Trellis Bay is very limited. Maybe stop in at Loose Mongoose for something and use their dingy dock.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 01:55 PM

What Kego said. I would anchor/moor in Trellis Bay if you plan to spend time ashore there. More convenient.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 04:15 PM

I'd just make Trellis a day stop unless there was something else going on at night. I think its a great stop for a couple hours, then head to Marina Cay or White Bay on Guana for the night. From Marina Cay you can easily dinghy over to Scrub to use their facilities as well.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 05:53 PM

One big plus in Trellis is "Marche"..great sushi, Asian cuisine. I have yet to try Loose Mongoose but only hear good things about that too..
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/04/2022 07:35 PM

We love Marche, too. The issue is finding dock space. The outer part of the Marche dock is reserved for various ferries and shuttles. The inner area is often full. Many times we have headed there, but there was no space. Aragorn's dock is limited, and not all the docks were rebuilt. The market dock is available to customers and fee payers. The government dock is rarely accessible. All the barges and ferries using the area on the west side of the bay have made that area treacherous.
Posted By: Barryp

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/05/2022 01:28 AM

We anchored in Trellis Bay last month. We ate at Loose Mongoose for lunch, all 4 meals were great. Dingy dock at Loose Mongoose is new. Aragorn’s studio is nice to see his work and others for sale, great shirts to buy. Decent market there, only place we could find Miller Lite beer in the islands, wife was happy!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/14/2022 12:08 AM

My wife and I did that dingy ride from Marina Cay and back about 15 years ago. We won't do that again. Nothing bad happened, but a lot could go wrong. Didn't the manager of Pussers attempt that and was never seen again. Sometimes the most innocent of things can turn deadly.
Posted By: bviicatter

Re: Trellis Bay - 08/15/2022 03:04 PM

Hi, just be forewarned that Trellis can get very congested- especially for full moon. Watch out for the reef extending west from Marina Cay marked by red buoy, also partially submerged rocks at entrance to Trellis.
The dingy ride from Marina Cay is no problem, if you use common sense. It is fairly sheltered in there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline