TravelTalkOnline

A Couple of Ferry Questions

Posted By: aero1

A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/10/2022 06:13 PM

Question 1) Prior to COVID, we did not really worry about what ferry to catch from Charlotte Amalie to Tortola as long as we were not arriving too late. We just collected our luggage after our flight and headed to the ferry terminal to catch the next departure.

Last year, due to COVID the ferries were restricted in how many people they could carry and it was important to have a reservation prior to arriving in St. Thomas or you could end up left on shore.

Are the ferries still running at half capacity this year? Is it important to make a ferry reservation in advance for any other reason?

Question 2) We are arriving on Thanksgiving Day. I am assuming that T-Day in the U.S. will not affect the ferry schedules. Is this a valid assumption?

Thanks
Posted By: Husker

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/10/2022 08:44 PM

1) The schedules for November are not our yet as far as I know. Rumor has it schedules will be back to, more or less, pre-covid. There are no more covid protocols and # of passengers is no longer restricted. We plan to ferry mid November and I'm planning on buying ferry tickets when we get there (like we had always done pre-pandi). Recommend you watch this site for when the new schedules come out and plan accordingly.
2) Correct, that has been my experience. Again, check schedules beforehand.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/10/2022 09:31 PM

The schedules through April 2023 are on the BVI Abroad page on Facebook.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/10/2022 10:50 PM

This is the November ferry schedule that was released on August 7th. That seems way in advance for anything in the BVI so I would suggest double-checking . . .

Attached picture November 2022 Ferry Schedule as of 8-7-2022.jpg
Posted By: tpcook

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/11/2022 01:51 PM

I would suggest that no one use the Native Sun ferry oriole. This boat is dangerous and has a problem with rolling over in seas. The captain has to just about stop the boat to keep it from rolling over. It is old and needs replacement to a better ferry. This ferry is a disaster waiting to happen.
Posted By: aero1

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/13/2022 02:06 AM

Thanks for the great input!
Posted By: WindAndSea

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/18/2022 01:33 AM

Can anyone clarify this November ferry schedule? I see it is more populated than some of the earlier ones posted. But how do you read those time columns? The early and late boats look like 90 minutes between the Road Town and CHA times (which I assume are departure and arrival times). But the midday trips look like 4-4 1/2 hours between. Is that for real?

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/18/2022 12:53 PM

Those are all departure times.
Posted By: Nibj

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/18/2022 11:23 PM

@Ecm56 can you tell me where to find the nicely formatted schedules like the one for November that you posted above? I am interested in the January schedule (although I understand this is a long time away).

Thanks

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/19/2022 03:40 PM

I believe they were posted on Facebook by someone at Guavaberry Spring Bay. I reposted all the ones I could find in the BVI Currents groups on FB (look in the "Files" section). I have not found a consistent source that I can rely on month after month (and year after year).

Attached picture January 2023 Ferry Schedule as of 8-7-2022.jpg
Attached picture February 2023 Ferry Schedule as of 8-7-2022.jpg
Attached picture March 2023 Ferry Schedule as of 8-7-2022.jpg
Attached picture April 2023 Ferry Schedule as of 8-7-2022.jpg
Posted By: Bvicatter

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/23/2022 01:30 PM

HI we are arriving October 24 (tomorrow) last I checked there was a 5:00 pm ferry Charlotte Amalie to Road Town- now I cannot find that listing.
Can someone please post a current ferry schedule USVI to BVI?
Thanks!
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/23/2022 02:48 PM

Go to Smith's Ferry website. They have a 5 PM ferry on Monday 24. https://smithsferry.com/

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/25/2022 05:42 PM

October Ferry Schedule.

Attached picture October Ferry Schedule - Revised.jpg
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: A Couple of Ferry Questions - 10/25/2022 07:23 PM

I found this link the most helpful
https://usvi.net/information/transp...o-british-virgin-islands-ferry-schedule/
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline