TravelTalkOnline

Beach chairs and umbrellas

Posted By: betsyg

Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/04/2023 10:16 PM

We want to bring two Tommy Bahama beach chairs and one umbrella to Virgin Gorda. We're flying American to SJU and Cape Air to Virgin Gorda. Any ideas on how to pack them and the cost of baggage? Thanks in advance:)
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/04/2023 10:23 PM

How small does that umbrella become when broken down? Cape has very limited luggage space and number of bag/dimension requirements - they may all get left behind and on the next flight with ample space. You may be better off renting them on island.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/04/2023 11:58 PM

Have to ask why would you do that? Most places have those..although they may not have a TB logo...Way more trouble to me than its worth and , as sid, good luck getting them on a Capre Air plane..
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/05/2023 01:02 PM

If your villa doesn't have them, rent from someone local. Much easier. Unless that umbrella folds down to the size of a travel umbrella, not likely to get on a Cape Air flight.
Posted By: IWIWSE

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/05/2023 02:47 PM

Buy them on island. Leave them for the next guest.. Rosie’s might sell them.
Posted By: steve74

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/06/2023 12:42 AM

We have a Neso tent that we travel with when staying on island instead of a boat. If you bury the bags correctly, these handle the wind in the islands better than an umbrella. With this said, we have the large one and it’s hard to justify packing it in luggage on some trips. Hopefully, you only need room for 2 and could get the smaller one. Good luck!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/06/2023 02:24 AM

Used to seeing Neso tents on St John - lots of them. A friend currently staying on JVD sent me photos today of people parked in front of Soggy with big Neso tents. Really ruined the vibe (and there is so much available shade!) Never seen that before……
Posted By: steve74

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/07/2023 10:47 AM

We’ve only used our Neso on St. John - and really only for a few years after the hurricane damaged the tree coverage for shade. We’ve only sat on a few Gorda beaches, but the natural shade was more limited so I understand the need. Soggy, not so much.
Posted By: Fitzhughlaw

Re: Beach chairs and umbrellas - 01/08/2023 01:16 AM

Betsy, when are you going to be here? I have eight of them (Tommy Bahama beach chairs) and am in Mahoe Bay (www.seafans.com). Drop me an email or a private message here and if I don't have a full house while you're here, I'd be glad to lend you two of them.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline