TravelTalkOnline

Quick food question

Posted By: GettinBye

Quick food question - 02/16/2023 04:03 PM

I overestimated the amount of foods we would use for our land- based trip - I had brought BBQ sauces, rices, tomato sauces etc since I was checking a bag (anyway). I was going to just pack up the unopened remaining food and bring it back home No perishables. Will I run into any issues going thru customs at the airport"? If so I will just leave it here but if its no problem I may as well bring it home to my college boys. cool

Thank you
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 04:15 PM

I brought food back home thru STT our last trip. Things like oatmeal packs, rum cake, liquor, coffee etc. My understanding has always been as long as it isn't fruit or veggies you should be fine. I brought bacon and pork sausage through (into BVI) last time too and I was seeing signs for swine flu everywhere but nobody flagged my bag. Guess I needed to have the whole hog.
Posted By: CDavis2

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 05:48 PM

I think staples are fine to bring back but don't make the mistake I did with bringing any beef or pork products back into the United States. Customs was not happy to find those and I was lucky to avoid a fine. Of course I was also not happy to find out later that chicken was fine to bring back so they left that in my cooler that I didn't bother to look in until a few days after we got back.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 05:52 PM

I always understood that ANY kind of meat was not allowed to be brought into the US.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 05:54 PM

I say leave it for the folks who clean the place..My neighbours and I swap perishables when we leave.Nice to find a care package on your doorstep..pay it forward.
Posted By: GettinBye

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 05:56 PM

Thanks. We are leaving a TON for her. We love her and she’s walking away with a full bar. Cases of beer All the condiments etc. She will need a big car when leaving tomorrow. Allllll good.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 06:23 PM

I was surprised we were able to bring meats into the BVI, especially the pork. I have never needed to learn the rules coming home since there is never anything left. We usually leave alot of alcohol behind too.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Quick food question - 02/16/2023 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by skipdastraw

We usually leave alot of alcohol behind too.

You need to work on that!!!!!

Re: Quick food question - 02/17/2023 01:34 AM

That is alcohol abuse!
Posted By: maineskier69

Re: Quick food question - 02/17/2023 01:09 PM

I still have a bottle of Bomba's "special rum" that was used to make Bomba Punch in my liquor cabinet...

Re: Quick food question - 02/17/2023 05:32 PM

I served behind the bar at Bomba's a few times when he had to take "a rest". Those bottles of "Special Rum" were amazing..about a quarter of the bottle was filled with mushrooms and the strength of the "dose" you got in your rum depended on how long the"ingredients" had been marinating! Really funny..and I would warn folks that I had no idea the strength of the punch they were getting..
Posted By: vytis104

Re: Quick food question - 02/17/2023 09:48 PM

Has anyone else picked up this tradition?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline