TravelTalkOnline

Ball Reservations

Posted By: krafty81

Ball Reservations - 02/22/2023 03:42 PM

Hoping to get some help from the experts..

Heading to BVI for BB Charter 11-18 April. Wondering if I need to reserve a ball for Anegada? We are staying there two nights, the 12 and 13th. Also going to JVD and Virgin Gorda. Reservations required at BEYC or Baths?

Thanks!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/22/2023 03:51 PM

When do you arrive? If the charter starts 4/11 are you making a bee line for North Sound to get to Anegada on 4/12?

4/12 is a Wednesday and they are typically busy days at Anegada. There are lots of FCFS balls, however. Are you comfortable anchoring?

You typically don’t need to book a ball at BEYC. Just get there before 4.

You can’t reserve balls at the Baths and can’t moor there overnight.

Easter is April 9 - this may be a busy time…….
Posted By: Jamie O

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/22/2023 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
When do you arrive? If the charter starts 4/11 are you making a bee line for North Sound to get to Anegada on 4/12?

4/12 is a Wednesday and they are typically busy days at Anegada. There are lots of FCFS balls, however. Are you comfortable anchoring?

You typically don’t need to book a ball at BEYC. Just get there before 4.

You can’t reserve balls at the Baths and can’t moor there overnight.

Easter is April 9 - this may be a busy time…….

Are there non-BB FCFS balls at Anegada?

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/22/2023 05:58 PM

Jamie - yes. There are non BB FCFS at Anegada.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 01:57 AM

The holding is outstanding at Anegada. You can always anchor.

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 03:23 AM

Sorry what is an FCFS ball?
Posted By: steve74

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 03:29 AM

First Come First Serve balls - non-reservation balls - not Boaty Balls. The white ones. Have fun on your trip!
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 01:59 PM

Please correct me, but I am pretty sure that many of the FCFS balls at Diamond Cay JVD and Great Harbor JVD (and maybe other places) are managed by BoatyBall and you pay for them online as well. They certainly show on the BoatyBall app. On the other hand FCFS balls at BEYC and Norman are not in BoatyBall and are paid to the owners directly.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nibj
Please correct me, but I am pretty sure that many of the FCFS balls at Diamond Cay JVD and Great Harbor JVD (and maybe other places) are managed by BoatyBall and you pay for them online as well. They certainly show on the BoatyBall app. On the other hand FCFS balls at BEYC and Norman are not in BoatyBall and are paid to the owners directly.

You are correct. Boaty Ball doesn't just manage the reserved balls, they manage the FCFS balls for the local mooring ball owners as well.

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 02:47 PM

Nibj - depends on anchorage. Anegada for instance has 17 BoatyBalls (looking at them now on line - three are still open today!) and FCFS that are NOT managed by BoatyBall. Leverick has reservable and first come balls all managed by BB. BEYC balls are all managed by them - no Boaty Ball. Little and Great Harbor are all BB managed now (well maybe two or three FCFS balls in GH but they almost always never available). In Little Harbour some of these are FCFS but still managed by BB - same now for Diamond Cay. Just need to get to know your anchorages.
Posted By: marisol

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 04:37 PM

I just want to emphasize what GeorgeC1 said. It is easy to anchor at Anegada. A great sandy bottom. We think it's one of the easiest places to anchor in the BVI. Have a great time!

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 04:50 PM

Thanks - balls have sure changed since I was there in 2017. Yes we get to Anegada on Wednesday and leave Friday. Looking for good land activities on Anegada. How many hours to sail from Norman to Anegada in everyones experience?

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 05:11 PM

Norman to Anegada? That is ambitious. We typically leave from the North Sound early (before 8am) in the morning. That takes 2.5-3 hours depending on conditions. We like getting into the mooring field before noon.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by krafty81
How many hours to sail from Norman to Anegada in everyones experience?

30+ miles upwind will be a long day no matter what wind. Maybe motor up to Virgin Gorda then sail over.

That said we have done the reverse trip, Anegada to Norman, down wind w/10 to 15 gust to 20k.
One of the best sails ever. Caught my first Mahi rounding the SE tip of Peter Island.
Posted By: TC42

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/23/2023 10:15 PM

Caught my first Mahi rounding the SE tip of Peter Island.[/quote]

Cwoody: Did you sail the Drake and catch the mahi, or go outside and catch it when coming in tween Peter and Norman?
Posted By: Laserking

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/27/2023 12:37 AM

That time of year you can almost certainly get a FCFS ball at Anegada, but it’s only 5 or 6 feet deep, so I’d just anchor. The bottom is sand with great holding.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Ball Reservations - 02/27/2023 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by TC42
Did you sail the Drake and catch the mahi, or go outside and catch it when coming in tween Peter and Norman?

Between Peter and Norman.
Jibed when we came around Carrot rock. Guess the change in action of the lure as we jibed must have got the Mahi's attention.
Looks like we crossed a little drop in there from 50 to 100 ft.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline