TravelTalkOnline

Thoughts on February

Posted By: WIsailer

Thoughts on February - 02/27/2023 03:37 PM

We just finished our second BVI bareboat trip February 11-19 with TMM. The winds were definitely sporty during our trip but it seems from our discussion with many folks while in the islands that this year the winds were very unusual, we like to sail but many days the gusts were above 25kts and TMM asked us not to raise sails in those conditions. How likely are we to see similar conditions in February next year based on your experience?
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Thoughts on February - 02/27/2023 03:49 PM

We were on our boat (TMM) 1/20-2/6. It was windier this year than anytime the past three years we have been there (we’ve been most months aside from August-October). I say it is an an anomaly but with the weather you never know - our lake here in MI was only frozen for one week this year - I may as well put my docks back in - lol.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Thoughts on February - 02/27/2023 08:26 PM

We were on our boat from 1/31 - 2/15 and agreed that it was very windy. But we were also there last year ('22) for 2 1/2 weeks during February and it was stormy and windy then, as well. Cassie from BVIYC said that Feb is usually the coldest month and the water is the coolest. If we go during Feb again, we won't plan our itinerary until we arrive and know the wind conditions.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Thoughts on February - 02/27/2023 10:42 PM

We were there this same week (2nd week in Feb) in 2019 and it was the windiest we have ever experienced...
Posted By: Laserking

Re: Thoughts on February - 02/28/2023 02:38 AM

In my experience, it was a bit cooler and significantly windier this February than in my previous February trips, so I think it’s probably a bit of an anomaly. Like MI Diver, I have been every month except August and September, and while there are generalizations that can be made, the fact is that you just don’t really know what the wind is going to do until you get here. I’ve had it howling in June and dead calm in March. Go figure. The windiest month is usually January, historically, I think.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline