TravelTalkOnline

Cane garden bay-sargassum

Posted By: Dorothy50

Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/23/2023 08:08 PM

Leaving Thursday for 10 days in CGB and have been looking at the beach cam daily for the last few weeks. Seeing today for the first time sargassum in the bay. I know it comes in and out so one day can be ok the next not so much… wondering if any of the places on the beach clean it up at all and for anyone currently there how bad is it getting? We have a Jeep so can move around to other beaches. Any beaches that don’t usually get hit with it? Thanks!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/23/2023 08:31 PM

The wind is out of the west. This is very rare but pushed everything floating into CGB. Wind should clock back around to the east by the weekend. How long for that to go away after the wind shift I can’t tell you.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/23/2023 09:04 PM

The last big west wind loaded the stuff into Smugglers.As George says it will stop as soon as the wind shifts.As to cleanup?I bet that depends whose establishment is most impacted.Not a lot of community "working together" with the beachfront bar owners...

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/23/2023 10:58 PM

I should have said the wind will clock around early this week.
Posted By: Sailorric

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/24/2023 07:25 PM

Loads of it on the beach at Sebastian’s right now. We just arrived and they said it came in during the night last night.
Posted By: Nanchip

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/29/2023 07:36 PM

Any update on the Sargassum status?
Posted By: jrw

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 04/29/2023 09:12 PM

Go to; quitosbvi.com/webcam/

Looks clean today.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 05/01/2023 01:50 PM

We were all around the BVI from April 17th thru 26th....the weed is around in patches but it didn't affect our trip at all. We were in CGB those two days of very rare SW wind last week. Some patches got pushed in and there was some manageable accumulation on the beach, but I've seen much, much worse in other parts of the caribbean...esp those NE facing beaches. We were in the West caribbean in January and it was a huge problem.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 05/01/2023 06:01 PM

Check out Quito's Webcam ( just Google that) and you can see CGB is clean as a whistle. I am down in three weeks for a two plus month stay at CRC in Little Apple Bay and hope we can dodge the sargassum bullet!

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 05/01/2023 11:10 PM

We have had no issues so far. Cow Wreck was just fine.
G
Posted By: Nanchip

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 05/02/2023 07:54 PM

Great news, Thanks to all for sharing.
We’ll be chartering down there in 3 weeks and looking forward to enjoying some clean beach time.

Re: Cane garden bay-sargassum - 05/03/2023 01:34 AM

In CGB now, beach has no seaweed but there are about 1000 chairs!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline