TravelTalkOnline

Sargassum Question

Posted By: VI Fun!

Sargassum Question - 05/29/2023 08:41 PM

We are starting our charter this coming weekend! I was wondering if anyone had some updates on the current status of the sargassum amounts in Anegada...Cow Wreck, Big Bamboo? The North Sound? Monkey Point? Norman?...Thanks!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Sargassum Question - 05/29/2023 09:04 PM

It was basically a non issue. There certainly was some around but not near as bad as I have seen it.
G
Posted By: Rush

Re: Sargassum Question - 05/30/2023 09:40 AM

In the North Sound now and heading there today, but in general agree with George. There is some floating around but it is not building in any of the spots you go to and we have not smelled it. Was worse in early March.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Sargassum Question - 05/30/2023 01:11 PM

Here on Tortola the worst have seen, and smelled, is at Frenchman's Cay by the bridge from Tortola..nothing on the North Shore so far!!
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Sargassum Question - 05/30/2023 05:35 PM

it depends, peter,cooper,leverick,jvd,anegade,diamond,both white bays, cgb, norman,...nothing but random floaters

tortola by the pier, stinky

Out on the water, no significant rafts.

realtime info.......
Posted By: VI Fun!

Re: Sargassum Question - 05/31/2023 12:37 PM

This is great news! Thanks so much for your replies.

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/01/2023 01:03 AM

and should I add...the SG around the VG water station/airport was huge. but no other places on the island.
Posted By: Rush

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/01/2023 09:58 AM

None at all on Cow Wreck 2 days ago.

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 12:33 PM

@ JVD white bay, the wind switched south and now it has a beachload of sargassum.
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by hallucination
and should I add...the SG around the VG water station/airport was huge. but no other places on the island.

Originally Posted by hallucination
@ JVD white bay, the wind switched south and now it has a beachload of sargassum.

We stayed at old yard the month of May and yes toward the end it was building up . Stinky at times depending on the wind but not too bad . The locals are expecting it to be much worse in July / August .
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 06:58 PM

https://www.virginislandsnewsonline...causes-system-shutdown-bviec-power-plant

Shut down the power plant.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 07:21 PM

You would think the water pickups would be well below the low tide water level.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 07:24 PM

Evidently the pickups are not deep enough. To get deeper, one would need to go out further, which would have cost more money. So guess what happened?
Posted By: knitsoftwear

Re: Sargassum Question - 06/05/2023 09:06 PM

we were there in May - How did I know I had COVID? we drove into town and I couldn't smell it
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline