TravelTalkOnline

Resort slips

Posted By: BRJ

Resort slips - 11/04/2023 02:05 PM

Finally, our first time chartering a boat in the BVI. Can anyone help me understand the pros and cons of a night in a resort slip? Do I need to book in advance? Is it too expensive? Too busy? There’s so many great resorts in the area and I was just curious if a slip is worth it, or maybe save the resort for another land based vacation.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Resort slips - 11/04/2023 05:03 PM

I would say a slip at Leverick is well worth it..rent a car from there and explore the island and The Baths.I am not a fan of Scrub but others are..Yes book in advance if you can..
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Resort slips - 11/05/2023 12:12 AM

The docks at Leverick can be very rocky, just FYI. Docks at Bitter End, on the other hand, are typically extremely calm. Bitter End and Scrub take advance reservations for slips.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Resort slips - 11/05/2023 12:43 AM

If you're interested in personal opinion, I don't think it makes sense to charter an expensive boat for a short time and then spend any more time at the dock than necessary. It's hard to improve the atmosphere of being out on the water.
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Resort slips - 11/05/2023 12:44 AM

Bitter End was calm when we were there in January. And the big yachts are interesting. Oil Nut bay also has slips.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Resort slips - 11/05/2023 11:40 AM

More generally, a slip gives you access to shore power. It allows people to get on and off the boat at will, rather than the need to be ferried by dinghy. Some slips give you access to shore amenities like pools. Moorings are further out, so may get better breezes; some are more rolly. The relative advantages depend on whether your boat has a genset and a/c.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Resort slips - 11/05/2023 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
The docks at Leverick can be very rocky, just FYI. Docks at Bitter End, on the other hand, are typically extremely calm. Bitter End and Scrub take advance reservations for slips.

I agree. Docks are exposed to significant fetch. On Mooring ball or anchor, boat is pointing straight into the waves. On the dock, often hitting 20 degrees off and thus less comfortable.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline