TravelTalkOnline

Boatyball Reviews

Posted By: TJTrippe

Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 03:27 AM

What is the current views of Boatyball? Are mooring balls readily available throughout BVI or has it become a disaster for average charters looking. To make their way? We plan on chartering in summer 2024 and now fear the fate of Boatyball. Will we be able to make our own 7-day itinerary out of road town?

Thanks
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 12:40 PM

You won’t have any real issues in the summer other than Cooper on Saturday and Sunday.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 08:41 PM

We will be down end of June through July and dont plan on using it and have never for personal use...I have helped a few others stuck in their BB mess use it with my acocunt to get moorings. The BB cure is worse than the disease. I do use it as a proxy along with webcams to see how busy a harbor will be that day each morning.
Posted By: MKGrey

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 09:05 PM

We charter most years in the May-July timeframe, and will be back this year end of June thru July. As GeorgeC1 states, you really will not need it except at Cooper and Great Harbour (Jost). All other areas you will have little to no problem securing moorings....even late in the day.

Bailau, a round of drinks on me for your crew if we cross paths this summer.

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 09:13 PM

MKGrey-

Deal...will be on land 6/22-6/29 in White Bay at the Pink House then 6/29-7/8 on a Moorings 534

Have a great time
Posted By: MKGrey

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/11/2024 09:30 PM

Bailau -

When our float plan comes into focus, I'll look to see if it lines up with your dates/locations as outlined. We are group of 6 aboard a Moorings 5000.

Hope to connect.....
Posted By: tmsxmsails

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/12/2024 12:52 AM

It's good to hear that BB isn't necessarily critical in the off season. I'm going in June and have never used it but have I've been feeling a little anxious about getting the timing right and "winning the lottery" every day. Sounds like it's only needed in a few places.

In those few places, are there issues with people taking the ball you've paid for? I've heard of the problem of arriving and finding someone is on your ball and has no intention of leaving. Is that really a thing or is that just a couple of one-offs that have been overblown? It sounds like if it does happen, there's not much you can do about it - BB doesn't have a fleet of enforcer vessels that they can deploy to eject the guy.
Posted By: Skytrucker

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/12/2024 01:01 AM

I was chartering June 22 and used boats a bit, particularly in the above mentioned busy spots. I had no problems with “poachers” and didn’t hear of any while chatting at beach bars… it’s nice to know you have a spot before heading to the next place, but the 7am frenzy doesn’t lend itself to island vacation-morning Coffee-with the sunrise time….its a little “strikes and gutters” with the boatyballs, seems like….

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/12/2024 02:06 AM

I have had two people on balls I reserved. One was a crewed boat. Both left after a discussion.
Posted By: TJTrippe

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/14/2024 03:17 AM

Technology is great as long as all have a free shot at what is available. I guess I can always anchor and set an alarm.

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/14/2024 04:29 AM

You are more likely to end up adrift from a mooring than if you are properly anchored. I have had two mooring balls fail in the BVI. One a BEYC maintained ball and the other a moor secure ball.

Re: Boatyball Reviews - 01/14/2024 09:58 PM

I set an an anchor alarm regardless of anchor or mooring...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline