TravelTalkOnline

North Sound to Little Jost

Posted By: snman31

North Sound to Little Jost - 03/31/2024 06:27 PM

Hey all, staying on a ball in the north sound tonight and had planned on sailing north of Tortola to Little JVD tomorrow but with the north swell building I'm thinking it's not such a good idea. Instead I wonder about sailing around south through the SFD to stay protected for most of the time then shoot north under power for the last bit? On a 45' sailing cat with a minimally experienced crew. If it would be too much maybe overnight at Sopers?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: North Sound to Little Jost - 03/31/2024 11:40 PM

Non event, you will barely notice the swell out on the water. It’s only a factor in anchorages open to the North.

Re: North Sound to Little Jost - 03/31/2024 11:55 PM

Thanks, George, that makes me feel better.
Posted By: Skytrucker

Re: North Sound to Little Jost - 04/01/2024 10:19 PM

Yep. Swells in open deep water are just that. Swells. They’ll just roll under you gently. The trouble comes when the pack up against shallow or enclosed spaces, the. They become “waves”. Besides, you’ll be mostly down-wind and swell on the north side, it should be “champagne sailing”

I see now, you’ve probably already done it, how was it?? Hope it was easy and fun!

Re: North Sound to Little Jost - 04/01/2024 10:44 PM

We ended up going around south, stopped at the Dogs for some snorkeling. It was lovely and very calm which the crew appreciated. When we rounded Sopers Hole and headed upwind it was bumpy but still not bad. Ended up happy on the ball at little JVD and the kids loved the bubbly pool. All's well, thanks everyone for the help!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline