TravelTalkOnline

JVD Customs and Immigration

Posted By: MIDiver

JVD Customs and Immigration - 04/30/2024 12:52 PM

I did not realize that an incoming ferry will trump any private captains waiting to clear (in our case out). First in line at 8:15 this morning and the ferry came in and they got to clear first. A little peeved. Ok, more than a little. So - something to be aware of…..
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: JVD Customs and Immigration - 04/30/2024 02:18 PM

MIDiver, totally understand your frustration. My brother spent 4 hours at the customs office waiting to clear out last May. On a positive note, we just cleared into West End last week and had a very positive experience. Used Sail Clear, which is super convenient. It was busy with the day trippers but the office has definitely improved their customer service. They had 2 kiosks for immigration, when you walk in from the pier and the guy there was very friendly. I was in and out in under 20 minutes and that was with clearing in a dog as well. I did make sure to time it around the ferry arrival. Also, now for the 2nd time we were able to clear into the USVI electronically using CBP Roam and didn't need to go to Cruz Bay to clear in person.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: JVD Customs and Immigration - 04/30/2024 02:21 PM

Yep - that's true in Cruz Bay as well - don't ask how I know....!

You're still in Paradise....
Posted By: OceanSong

Re: JVD Customs and Immigration - 05/01/2024 12:32 PM

I have always understood that the ferries take priority. I try to time clearing in and out on all Caribbean islands to avoid ferry arrivals and departures.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: JVD Customs and Immigration - 05/01/2024 08:47 PM

We thought get we had timed it well - we were there at 8:15 am to be first in line. Ferry arrived early at 8:35am …….. oh well.
Posted By: OceanSong

Re: JVD Customs and Immigration - 05/02/2024 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
We thought get we had timed it well - we were there at 8:15 am to be first in line. Ferry arrived early at 8:35am …….. oh well.

I timed things badly a little over a month ago at JVD and it took several hours. It was mostly day boats that had things backed up, you never know!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline