TravelTalkOnline

just some recommendations, please

Posted By: BillyB

just some recommendations, please - 07/18/2018 02:05 PM

Hello All, I have bareboated through the BVI a few times but never have spent any time in the USVI. I would like to spend a few long weekends getting to see St Thomas and St john if possible. Would like to stay on that east side of ST Thomas where Im closest to ST John. Ill be coming solo with a backpack and flip flops......Im easy going and way laid back. Any mom and pop stays, boats, airBnB's that I should look at staying at/on? I just want to meet the locals, be around the water,look for my possible relocation spot and relax. No expensive resorts, just local flavor. Looking at end of Sept. Any help would be great. Local bars, restaurants...Want to run over and see the new Willy T and see my buddy Seddy at One Love as well. Thanks all.
Posted By: RickG

Re: just some recommendations, please - 07/20/2018 11:59 AM

My favorite cheap $65 single rooms on St. John at Inn at Tamarind Court are not rebuilt yet. On St. Thomas East End and St. John Cruz Bay the only rooms I see below $100 per night are on AirBnB.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hopefully Island Time Pub will be open in Red Hook. Good pizza and lots of locals.

Cheers, RickG

Re: just some recommendations, please - 07/20/2018 01:07 PM

Thanks RickG, thats exactly the type of stuff I am looking for, its just me. Thanks for the input, have a great weekend.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: just some recommendations, please - 07/28/2018 02:24 PM

Second ITP, we enjoy Duffy’s Love Shack in the parking lot across the street for drinks and sing-alongs after. I’m told Latitude 18 is currently closed, sadly...
Enjoy Red Hook!

Re: just some recommendations, please - 07/30/2018 02:00 PM

Thanks much, I will
Posted By: RickG

Re: just some recommendations, please - 08/03/2018 12:58 PM

More winning! From Inn at Tamarind Court on Facebook.

"We were hit hard by hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017 but we are finally rebuilding now. We should have singles rooms available around September 2018 - although they might be a bit noisy due to the rebuilding of the doubles building next door. No restaurant yet either. Please keep checking back for updates."

The Tamarind is in Cruz Bay and their single rooms were $65 per night in the past. Some of our on island friends started out living there for their first months on island. Good locals hang out, if the bar gets open sooner (likely). Cheap stiff pours.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: yourcraig

Re: just some recommendations, please - 08/04/2018 10:46 PM

We ate at the Tap and Still in Cruz Bay last week and it had only been open for a couple weeks. I guess the one in Red Hook has been around a while. The burgers start at $6 for a 1/4# hamburger and top out at $10 for a double (half pound) bacon cheeseburger. All the other toppings including grilled shrooms and onions are free. If you are on a budget, you could probably live on one of those a day. Happy Hour was 3 bucks for either a beer or a generous pour of a Bulleit brand cocktail (the better deal). For 10 days in VI, it was the only meal that wasn't an ouch $$$.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline