TravelTalkOnline

Great Cruz Bay

Posted By: TWB

Great Cruz Bay - 02/13/2019 03:10 AM

We have friends staying at the Westin at Great Cruz Bay next week. My wife has promised we'd sail over for a day or two. I've read that all moorings there are private, so you have to anchor, but I can't find out what the holding is or how crowded it is there. Google earth shows a crowded bay but, I don't know when that photo was taken.

My question is, what are the conditions there? Do you recommend giving it a try? Or should we tell them to take a cab up to Cruz Bay, then pick them up at the dinghy dock?

Thanks

Tim
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Great Cruz Bay - 02/13/2019 04:10 AM

I've overnight nchored there several years ago (pre-Irma) in 20 ft at the mouth of the bay near the south point (Blasbalg Pt on the chart). Very good holding in sand. Fairly calm anchorage if winds don't go too far south. I see that many boats have returned there this season so likely still need to anchor out near the mouth.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Great Cruz Bay - 02/13/2019 01:28 PM

I have anchored in there many times to pick up day passengers - sandy, fairly calm on most days, not too hard to find a spot.

Re: Great Cruz Bay - 02/13/2019 11:00 PM

Thank you both. It sounds feasible to plan on meeting them there.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Great Cruz Bay - 02/14/2019 07:44 PM

You can call Proper Yachts at 340 227 3590 They have a couple of moorings in there that they will rent out nightly.

Jay

Re: Great Cruz Bay - 02/14/2019 08:10 PM

Thanks, I'll give them a call.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline