TravelTalkOnline

St. Thomas porters

Posted By: cbinparadise

St. Thomas porters - 06/22/2019 01:31 AM

We (6 of us) will be flying home a week from Sunday. Are the porters still the way to go? This is our 1st trip back down here since the hurricanes. I've always used them in the past but didn't know if there have been any changes.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: St. Thomas porters - 06/22/2019 03:22 PM

Porters are still there to help fast track you through the C&I line (won't help with any airline or TSA though). I not experienced any airport delays on ~10 trips post-Irma, but I also avoid returning on weekends.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: St. Thomas porters - 06/24/2019 07:39 PM

We always use a porter in St. Thomas. Worth every penny to me. They help get the tags for your luggage, get you through customs and drop your bags at the belts. There are usually 8 of us traveling together, so it really makes a difference for a group.
Posted By: cbinparadise

Re: St. Thomas porters - 06/25/2019 12:36 AM

Thanks so much O_B. There are 6 of us. $100 for the porter for all or do we have to each get a porter?
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: St. Thomas porters - 06/25/2019 08:11 PM

We use one porter for all 8 of us. We usually give him $20-25 per couple. They seem very happy with that amount. I think they tell you it's $3 per bag, so $20 for 2 bags, they are taken care of.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: St. Thomas porters - 07/03/2019 12:20 AM

Used a porter yesterday. Told it was 5 bucks per bag plus the tip.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: St. Thomas porters - 07/03/2019 05:05 PM

We had a 4pm UA flight out of STT on Saturday May 18th.
I was thinking porters for our group of seven, but upon arrival there was short line at the UA airline counter and C&I and TSA moved quickly. (AA counter had a bit of a line)
Guess we got lucky....
Easy enough to make your decision upon arrival.
Good luck
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline