TravelTalkOnline

Magens Bay. North swell?

Posted By: cyclingdoc

Magens Bay. North swell? - 11/22/2019 07:42 PM

Sailed to Magens in August and my wife, kids, and I loved it. Fun beach for the kids, sea life, calm water entry, the usual. It was a very settled anchorage.

How is Magens when there is a north swell in the winter months? It seems like the swell could just roll right in. Or is it pretty calm when anchored up near the beach due to the length of the bay?

Thanks
Posted By: RickG

Re: Magens Bay. North swell? - 11/23/2019 12:09 PM

Magens is one of the most sheltered bays for north swells and the only tenable anchorage on the north side of STT. It actually is open to the Northwest. The North swell from the winter storms are usually blocked by the large peninsula. There can be a bit of wrap around. I would not hesitate to give it a try.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Magens Bay. North swell? - 11/27/2019 01:12 AM

I was at Mountain Top last Friday watching a 5~6 foot north swell come into Magens Bay. The southeast corner of the beach was very rolly. The northeast corner had a monohull moored there and didn't look to be rolly too much and the beach in that corner was pretty flat.
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: Magens Bay. North swell? - 11/28/2019 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by BaardJ
I was at Mountain Top last Friday watching a 5~6 foot north swell come into Magens Bay. The southeast corner of the beach was very rolly. The northeast corner had a monohull moored there and didn't look to be rolly too much and the beach in that corner was pretty flat.

it's just problematic because it's so far from anywhere else protected so there isn't really a plan B out on the north shore.

i'll just keep an eye out on the swell forecast and decide based on that.

good info though, thanks
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Magens Bay. North swell? - 11/28/2019 01:42 PM

Always my favorite Go TO North Swell chart:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot...uom=E&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline