TravelTalkOnline

Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt

Posted By: DanS

Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/20/2020 09:04 PM

From the NY Times:

Caneel Bay: Why a Caribbean Paradise Remains in Ruins
Two years after back-to-back hurricanes struck St. John, the famed Caneel Bay Resort has not reopened. The storms’ lingering aftermath laid bare the eco-resort’s long-festering problems.

Link to full article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/travel/st-john-caneel-bay-resort.html

Dan cheers
Posted By: sail445

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by DanS
From the NY Times:

Caneel Bay: Why a Caribbean Paradise Remains in Ruins
Two years after back-to-back hurricanes struck St. John, the famed Caneel Bay Resort has not reopened. The storms’ lingering aftermath laid bare the eco-resort’s long-festering problems.

Link to full article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/20/travel/st-john-caneel-bay-resort.html

Dan cheers

Do you have another source besides the Useless NY Times?
The NYT is as useless as CNN and desperate for readership.

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 12:54 AM

sail--To be clear, the point is that they require registration to read. Their stories are not useless.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 01:30 AM

Try this link

https://m.facebook.com/groups/269556383563172?view=permalink&id=819413901910748

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 01:55 AM

Same deal. You need to register with NY Times..
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 04:16 PM

I was able to click and read the article.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 06:07 PM

It's based on cookies on your computer or something, as I am never able to read NYT stories..
Posted By: TomB

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/21/2020 06:22 PM

Me Too - I just clicked and it appeared... of course with a punch of pop ups but no problem reading it.
Posted By: betorah

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 03:01 PM

The NY times currently has 5,000,000 subscribers and doubled its digital subscriptions in the last four years. It's sustained record subscriber growth from 2016 on. It's not desperate for readers.The news concerning Caneel Bay has has also been covered by the News of St. John blog.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 05:40 PM

It probably doubled it’s subscriptions by using the same technique they’re using for the Caneel Bay article which is either you subscribe or you can’t read it. It’s a form of blackmail.
Posted By: betorah

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 10:49 PM

It's not a form of blackmail. Newspapers can't survive if everyone reads them on the Internet for free. Digital, rather than paper subscriptions are not just the wave of the future, but the wave of the present.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by betorah
It's not a form of blackmail. Newspapers can't survive if everyone reads them on the Internet for free. Digital, rather than paper subscriptions are not just the wave of the future, but the wave of the present.

Hello the internet has been for close to 18 years been affecting news outlets around the world. The NYT has been going downhill from regular subscriptions and on the internet, the only way they can boost their ratings is with the system they’re using now by having the public sign up with a (temporary) subscription so as to falsify ther ratings.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 11:12 PM

The NYT allows a certain number of free articles per month. Try clearing your cookies and you should be able to read the article.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 11:28 PM

How many millions of free articles do they permit?

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by betorah

Exactly. I miss the days of going out to get the Sunday papers in my shorts and then jumping back into bed for several hours of coffee and reading. At some point 10 plus years ago the papers became skinny on news and larger on ad. What they printed I had already read on the internet.

I delivered papers as a kid. Mondays were thin, Wednesdays had circulars and the Sunday paper was 5".

The NYT whether you agree with their politics is still delivering great content and protecting the 1st amendment.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/22/2020 11:45 PM

NYT’s politics and articles are whether you agree or not is over the edge Left wing and like CNN are going down hill.
How about getting back to the subject “Caneel Bay”

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/23/2020 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by sail445
NYT’s politics and articles are whether you agree or not is over the edge Left wing and like CNN are going down hill.
How about getting back to the subject “Caneel Bay”

All of your posts were political and not one about Caneel Bay. Drinking much these days?

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/23/2020 12:12 AM

Take a look at your posts before you criticize and then finish your bottle.

Re: Why Caneel Bay has not been rebuilt - 01/23/2020 12:28 AM

Yikes, ok, for whatever reason, this thread has gone totally political and thus is done.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline