TravelTalkOnline

Specific Itinerary Advice

Posted By: ligot

Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 01:09 PM

I wanted to re-up this with a specific request for suggestions/advice for USVI newbies.
Crew of 4 arriving Red Hook late on Saturday (Aug 8). Late enough I expect we're on the dock that night.
2 additional crew arriving Monday AFTERNOON to STT

I don't see us sailing back to STT to pick them up so we're expecting to have them grab a ferry to Cruz Bay. HOWEVER ...I'm trying to hold off a stop in Cruz Bay till Tues or Wed for ice/drinking water and fill in reprovisioning so that we're covered for the rest of the week so I'd prefer to not spend my afternoon moving Tortuga to Lind Point and back to some other bay late in the day.

Current thinking is to spend Sun night around Trunk Bay then move to a bay closer to Cruz Bay(Hawksnest or Caneel?) and have them take a taxi to meet us.
Would anyone be able to suggest
1) a nice harbour that would be easy for us to come to shore to get them and also to spend the afternoon and night?
2) specifically what they should tell the driver to get them to a place we can pick them up

As I've been researching I keep seeing closed places like the resort in Caneel or the campground in Cinnamon or that roads don't go to a particular beach making it accessible only by water and it makes me worry that we'll pick a harbor but the additional crew won't be able to make it to us because something is closed.

Anyone have enough experience here to say how they would do this? Really do appreciate it.
Posted By: MKGrey

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 01:44 PM

We just got back from a CYOA charter two weeks ago. Based on the needs you describe, I would suggest planning to spend Monday night in Maho or Francis. An easy point for drop off and pick up would be the area near the Maho Crossroads. It's easy to identify for a taxi driver, and relatively accessible by dinghy. You will need to land the dingy at the northern end of the Maho beach, via the dinghy channel. The road is very close to the beach there, making it easy for crew to get luggage back to the boat.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 02:12 PM

The Caneel Resort is still in ruins from Irma.
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 03:11 PM

I agree with maho. Awesome bay and beach. Road accessible. Dinghy accessible. Not much better ave action so everyone and luggage can stay dry. We’ve personally dropped off/picked up twice from here.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MKGrey
We just got back from a CYOA charter two weeks ago. Based on the needs you describe, I would suggest planning to spend Monday night in Maho or Francis. An easy point for drop off and pick up would be the area near the Maho Crossroads. It's easy to identify for a taxi driver, and relatively accessible by dinghy. You will need to land the dingy at the northern end of the Maho beach, via the dinghy channel. The road is very close to the beach there, making it easy for crew to get luggage back to the boat.

We did exactly this a few months back. Our stragglers took ferry to Cruz and a taxi to Maho where we picked them up with the dingy on the beach. No issue whatsoever.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 05:30 PM

Maho is certainly worth a couple of nights. It is a favorite stop for our crew.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: sail445

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 07:11 PM

Maho is the best choice, just tell the taxi to take you to the goat trail at Maho, the goat trail has been known to them for 40 years its a short cut to the now closed Maho campground it’s 100’ from where you land The dinghy

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone! It seems Maho it is! Anyone have a general idea of the time for that taxi ride?

Dave
Posted By: sail445

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 08:28 PM

Approximately 15 -20 minutes.

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 07/31/2020 08:47 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/01/2020 12:18 PM

You may get off the dock on day of arrival. Quick provisions from Moe's (across street fromm AYH). Buy Ice at AYH.. Pretty much as much as you can hold. You could spend Sat night at Christmas cove if any vacancy or go straight to Cancel Bay for definite ball availability and can visit "Bikini's Bar on The Beach".

Can have crew meet you at ST John by ferry plus Taxi or can meet them at AYH (pick up at fuel dock for $45) ordinary fromAYH/ Outriggers dingy dock. Other option is Megan's bay which is quite nice without cruise ships (We spent 3 nights here waiting out Tropical storm).

I get back 8/3 and you can call me.

Coordinate pickup/drop off with Kevin for your guest. Or you can rent car Paradise Car rental for your initial group.

No place for water fill outside Cruz bay ... You do have water maker I believe.

Always have Hurricane plan which MAY for May not include premature pickup and return to BVI, or you could be on your own.

Hope you have as much fun as I did, but hard to believe you could have as much fun as I have had past 3 weeks!

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/01/2020 04:41 PM

Thanks Wes! I think we've settled on Maho for pickup, just seems easy.

We don't even land at STT until 3. By the time weget luggage, hit RH, provision food and alcohol it's hard to imagine pushing off Saturday night but I hope to have a full day on Sunday.

Just wondering who is Kevin?

We have a watermaker but apparently ice can be a big deal. We have a Yeti 75 on board and will bring a soft sided Polar Bear. Do you remember other harbors besides Cruz Bay where we might restock?

One of these years we're doing the 3-4 week thing, so jealous!! Glad you've had a great trip!

Dave
Posted By: rhans

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/01/2020 06:54 PM

Kevin Campell GREAT taxi guy 340-643-0025

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/01/2020 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rhans
Kevin Campell GREAT taxi guy 340-643-0025

On St Thomas or St John?
Posted By: TomSW

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/01/2020 09:23 PM

St. Thomas
Posted By: DanS

Re: Specific Itinerary Advice - 08/02/2020 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by ligot
We have a watermaker but apparently ice can be a big deal. We have a Yeti 75 on board and will bring a soft sided Polar Bear. Do you remember other harbors besides Cruz Bay where we might restock?

Check out the recent thread, "USVI Trip Report - Part 1"

Dan cheers
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline