TravelTalkOnline

Feel like high season

Posted By: toast

Feel like high season - 08/09/2020 10:09 AM

On a land based trip right now and I have never seen St John so busy in August.....
Very happy for the business owners who lost part of their high season this year
See most every business enforcing mask rule and lots of folks even wearing while walking in town.
I guess I should have known it would busy since the VI is about the only game in town for US citizens right now.

Glad I came as the beaches and sun are heaven on earth, think I will be staying put upon arrival home until I know I have not brought anything home with me.

Since I am home bound work for the foreseeable future this should work.

If you are down be sure to book a sailing trip with Kekoa, their story is fascinating and they are family owned and operated!
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Feel like high season - 08/09/2020 12:00 PM

This is why we are still so busy at the restaurant I work at on the Gulf Coast of Florida — the Gulf Coast is insane right now.

We went to a beach resort “staycation” for our anniversary and it is just packed...we had to be very careful because there are MANY who are choosing not to social distance and the mask mandate is not really being strictly enforced...huge surprise....
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Feel like high season - 08/10/2020 11:35 AM

I suspect this is why Florida has been the covid hotspot of the country since June. I live in NC and it seems every covid case we hear about near us are people returning from FL beach trips. The majority being college kids that parents let go down because they have been cooped up so long.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Feel like high season - 08/10/2020 12:05 PM

Yes, George, that’s exactly it - it is also why I am so careful since these parents do not seem to want to “check” their kids at alll. I saw the sam types of teens wandering around St Thomas airport with their masks hanging from one ear....Ugh
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Feel like high season - 08/11/2020 05:52 PM

Some people have strange concepts of what "wearing a mask" is all about.

Re: Feel like high season - 08/11/2020 06:49 PM

Also experienced Inter island ferry service from crown bay marina to St. John, it was really nice to be so close and avoid the longer taxi ride to red hook. Cost was 20 for ferry and 10 for taxi. Few dollars more overall but I like being the noZt linger than being in the taxi!
Posted By: RickG

Re: Feel like high season - 08/11/2020 11:00 PM

Yep, it is the easiest place to visit in the Caribbean. The other options with a negative COVID test are Antigua, Barbados, DR, Dominica (newly), St. Lucia (must stay on property), St. Vincent (24-hour quarantine); this is changing every day. We are in Grenada for hurricane season where we had to go through a two week quarantine on our boat and pass a serum test.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/novel...-introduced-in-ports-of-entry-worldwide/

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Feel like high season - 08/12/2020 01:45 AM

But for how long?

https://viconsortium.com/vi-coronav...t-thomas-with-57-of-reported-infections-

Re: Feel like high season - 08/13/2020 11:49 AM

Check out the Governor's press conference from Monday 8/10. Most cases are transmitted by close associates rather than travel or community transmission. Instead of lockdown, the Governor has chosen to increase enforcement and add fines.

https://www.facebook.com/GovernmentHouseUSVI

+35 8/13/20

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Feel like high season - 08/13/2020 05:55 PM

The USVI just went back to a stay at home order.

Re: Feel like high season - 08/13/2020 08:36 PM

Yep, lockdown starting Monday.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Feel like high season - 08/14/2020 11:22 AM

Looks like a couple of weeks and a reassesment. This looks like it is planned to stop the current blip in community spread. Our last charter for the season ends on Monday. I fully expect us to be reopened before the late October charters start.

Re: Feel like high season - 08/14/2020 08:21 PM

Lucky I went last week and not this one!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline