TravelTalkOnline

Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay

Posted By: CaptnAndy

Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 05:28 PM

I'm wondering about picking up crew that is flying into STT.

Is it workable to anchor in Lindbergh bay, and pick them up at
Emerald Beach Resort? Is there another spot anyone has used?

The thought of having a rum punch at the beach bar with our arriving crew,
then heading out to the boat sounds kinda awesome.

We've stayed at Emerald Beach Resort, and I've seen boats anchored off
the beach, but I don't remember seeing a dinghy from the boat on the beach.

Thanks for your ideas!!

Andy
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 05:41 PM

I dont see why not..beach the dinghy past the hotel away from swimmers, up the beach towards the airport. Very nice beach bar there..Devin is the regular barkeep. You might want to also post this on the BVI page. Have fun.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 06:09 PM

Lindbergh is nice as long as you don’t have southerly winds which will make it roll a bit at anchor.
If there’s a swell you can anchor off Water Island or in Charlotte Amalie and have them take a 5 minute taxi ride to Crown Bay
Marina where you can have cocktails at Tickles or dinghy around to the bar at Honeymoon beach on Water island
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 06:11 PM

Anchoring there is pretty straight forward. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t pick them up on the beach. I don’t think there are any dinghy limitations there. Sounds like a super convenient way and fun way to pick them up. It’s probably a bit of a walk with luggage unless they travel light, have duffle bags, like to walk, etc so a very short taxi ride might be in order.

Have fun.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 07:55 PM

I would do it. The only risk is DPNR trying to get you to move as Lindbergh is not a designated anchorage. Plan B could be to anchor at Water Island and pick them up at Crown Bay or have them take the Water Island Ferrry. Druif Bay / Honymoon Beach is a wonderful place and right up there with St. John anchorages. Dinghy's Beach Bar has good food and drinks, better than Emerald Beach.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 10:36 PM

The big schooners used to have crew changes and provisioning there - I am talking recent - the last few years - not 'the old days'.
Spirit of Massachusetts, Harvey Gamage, Pride of Baltimore, Roseway etc.
Use the western ebd of the beach - closer and shorter walk to airport instead of the Hotel part of the beach.
Probably load luggage and have your mate run it out to the boat, walk up to the beach bar with your guests -- if that is what makes you want to do this, then have the dinghy pick you all up down the beach again later.
Overnight can be rolly - especially for new sailors, Brewers bay or Water Island are flatter and not too far if that is the case.
There are not really any dinghy regulations to concern you -- Sundays are MUCH busier!
Posted By: rhans

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/29/2020 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
I would do it. The only risk is DPNR trying to get you to move as Lindbergh is not a designated anchorage. Plan B could be to anchor at Water Island and pick them up at Crown Bay or have them take the Water Island Ferrry. Druif Bay / Honymoon Beach is a wonderful place and right up there with St. John anchorages. Dinghy's Beach Bar has good food and drinks, better than Emerald Beach.

Cheers, RickG

What RickG said. Have them take the ferry from Crown to Water. Great way to start
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/30/2020 02:14 AM

Agree on Water Island.....Honeymoon Beach rocks.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Picking up crew in Lindbergh Bay - 09/30/2020 05:03 PM

The crew we hired last November dropped us off there and had a couple of drinks with us.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline