TravelTalkOnline

Good options for an overnight slip

Posted By: Shifty

Good options for an overnight slip - 12/22/2020 12:04 AM

Well, we are 9 days from wheels up en route to St. Thomas for our 8 day charter with CYOA. Increasingly excited about a USVI-only trip for the first time. Definitely a great chance to see some spots we've overlooked in the past and find some new favorite places to make memories. Historically, we've generally spent a night mid-trip on a slip somewhere to re-provision and do some land excursions -- Leverick, Scrub, Spanish Town, etc... But I've never taken a slip in the USVI other than at the charter base in Charlotte Amalie. From what I can glean, there aren't many games in town. Only Cruz Bay on St. John. And either American Yacht Harbor, Sapphire Bay or Benner Bay on St. Thomas. Do any of you pirates have recent experience with any of these? If so, what are your thoughts regarding both the general amenities and "vibe" of the St. Thomas marinas? In reality, we won't likely need additional provisions and spending a night on a slip won't be particularly necessary. But if there are options that would be a change of pace, good atmosphere and fun for the crew, I'd like to try it out. From what I've seen online, American Yacht Harbor looks promising, but who knows.

Shifty

p.s. Probably not sailing south to St. Croix.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Good options for an overnight slip - 12/22/2020 12:17 AM

American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook will give you a lot of options for food, restaurants, laundry, shopping,---just be aware walking about Red Hook at night --Marina is very safe - good security -- mostly easy entry to slips and helpful staff.
There is no dock space available in St John.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Good options for an overnight slip - 12/22/2020 05:09 PM

Independent and Compass Point in Brenner Bay are not very good options with only a few walkable options. As LocalSailor said, AYH gives you lots of dining options. AYH is a decent option for fuel and water as well, but the fuel dock can get busy. Hopefully you have a watermaker?

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Good options for an overnight slip - 12/22/2020 09:32 PM

If I were looking to hangout for a day and do some provisioning and exploring ashore, I would simply grab a mooring near Lind Pt/Honeymoon Beach and dinghy to Cruz Bay. Lots of restaurant options, shopping at Mongoose Junction, short walk to well-stocked Dolphin Market for provisions, and taxis to take you on an island tour.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Good options for an overnight slip - 12/23/2020 01:00 AM

AYH is a good option but it is very expensive to berth there. However, it is the best game in town, so how bad could it be?!?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline