TravelTalkOnline

Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay?

Posted By: Shifty

Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 05:11 PM

I feel really, really dumb asking this, but one of my upcoming crew members for a USVI/BVI sailing charter sent me a picture purporting to be of "a bridge from St. Thomas to St. John." Of course, I know there's no bridge, as I'm there every year and can't even fathom the idea of a bridge of any kind between Red Hook and Cruz Bay. But I did conduct a brief internet search and came across a couple of sites/forums which indicate that a partial bridge and longer tunnel had either been commenced or even concluded. If this is true, I find it astonishing that I've never heard a word about it.

Help!

Shifty
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 05:14 PM

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Would not surprise me however with the wise use of government funding we have seen from both sides. 😎
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 06:44 PM

For years you could buy tunnel pass stickers for your car. For both the Saint John and Miami tunnels.

Attached picture download (2).png

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 07:18 PM

Would love to hear a trip report on the Miami-St. Thomas tunnel!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 07:28 PM

Wonder how much gasoline costs, to refill your car in that tunnel?? grin

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 07:32 PM

For sure! Not to mention oxygen tanks.

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/29/2024 08:18 PM

What about car charging stations, for those electric cars out there??? rofl
Posted By: DanS

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/30/2024 12:56 AM

Y'know, it's only a couple of miles, and the maximum water depth is about 100 feet. Seems like a tunnel could be feasible, if there were a good enough reason.

Having said that -- Hey Shifty, it's not April Fools Day. Are you just messing with us? devil

... and can't even fathom the idea of a bridge of any kind between Red Hook and Cruz Bay.

In Arthur Clark's science fiction novel, "The Fountains of Paradise", there's a suspension bridge (built of super-strong materials that don't exist today) across the Strait of Gibraltar. Now that would be cool!

Dan cheers

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/30/2024 03:38 AM

No, I promise! It was a question honestly posed to me and, as ridiculous as it sounded, I did a quick (and utterly in-scientific) Goodle search and found a number of posts discussing this.

If there's an April fool, it's me😳
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/30/2024 06:13 PM

I just did a Google search and the first and only post on a "tunnel" to St. John was dates APRIL 1, 2015.

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/30/2024 06:22 PM

Rick--ahh. I wondered when this was first posted, whether we had 'fast forwarded' to April 1.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Tunnel from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? - 01/31/2024 02:47 AM

Both water and power are sent to STJ from STT underwater . The STJ infrastructure is absolutely dependent on this.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline