TravelTalkOnline

PJIA update

Posted By: SXMScubaman

PJIA update - 05/03/2024 02:12 AM

Simpson Bay, St. Maarten (May 2, 2024) – The Princess Juliana International Airport Operating Company N.V. (PJIAE) is thrilled to announce significant progress on the new terminal building project. Following the successful opening of the check-in area and departure hall in January 2024, the focus has now shifted to the completion of the much-anticipated Arrival Hall.
Passengers can look forward to a more welcoming and efficient arrival experience. The new Arrival Hall will include:
Improved baggage handling systems for faster retrieval
Streamlined immigration and customs processes to minimize waiting time
Enhanced passenger facilities for a more comfortable arrival
This phase III of construction aligns with PJIAE's commitment to optimizing passenger flow. By the end of the third quarter of 2024, the entire terminal building – including the Arrival Hall – will be operational, well in time for the peak holiday season which kicks off in November.
CEO Brian Ming comments: "I'm incredibly proud of everything our team has accomplished so far. We're now ready to start the countdown to our grand opening in November this year. In a few months from now our Princess will shine like a diamond. And St. Maarten will once again be one of the leading destinations in the region. More and more passengers will visit our beautiful island, and this will be beneficial for the whole community.”
Prioritizing a Seamless Travel Experience
PJIAE understands the importance of minimizing disruptions during this final phase. The team is dedicated to careful planning and collaboration to ensure ongoing airport operations are unaffected, and travelers continue to enjoy an -as smooth as possible- travel experience.
Gratitude for Continued Support
PJIAE extends its sincere gratitude to employees, travelers, and the entire airport community for their ongoing understanding and cooperation. Together, we are building a brighter future for Princess Juliana International Airport – "Reopening with Excellence."
Celebrate 80 years of Princess Juliana Airport
As the airport eagerly approaches its 80th birthday, preparations are underway for a royal celebration later in 2024. The milestone event is set to honor the airport's rich legacy of connecting people and cultures across the globe. With a blend of historical reverence and forward-looking optimism, the 80th birthday celebration will be a royal celebration, reflecting the airport's enduring commitment to innovation, efficiency, and sustainability in the years to come.
About Princess Juliana International Airport
Princess Juliana International Airport is the second busiest airport in the Northeast Caribbean and serves as a vital airport hub for Saba, St Eustatius, St Barthelemy, Anguilla, Dominica, Nevis, and Tortola. The airport stands as one of the largest employers on the island, with 315 workers employed directly and a total of 1700 workers within the entire airport community. In 2024, Sint Maarten Airport expects to handle 1.5 million passengers and 54,000 aircraft movements. Reconstruction efforts at the airport commenced in September 2021, with the new terminal hall scheduled for completion in Q3 of 2024.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 02:26 AM

Pfffft
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 11:38 AM

Want to bet if it is done by the end of 2024?
Posted By: lcote

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 11:57 AM

Just saying it will be done by the third quarter of 2024 doesn't mean it is true.
Sorry Brian Mingo--your words fall on deaf ears for me. I'll believe it when I see it.
For now, the airport is just a big fat ugly bump in the road. I can only hope first time island visitors don't get the wrong idea that this is what they should always expect.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 12:54 PM

Very well stated. Many things Brian Mingo has spouted off about have been way off the timeline he portrayed.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 12:57 PM

What BS. He says "end of third quarter". Of course this is the first we have heard officially that it WASN'T going to be finished by end of second quarter, which is what the official word was, up to now. And then he talks about grand opening in November, which, by my count, is halfway through the fourth quarter. And, as JD said, how much do you want to bet it's not done this year? By all means, drag on into yet ANOTHER high season with all this cr*p.

And "CEO Brian Ming comments: "I'm incredibly proud of everything our team has accomplished so far...." Well, I guess you are the only one.

And I wonder who got his name wrong? The last I knew, his last name was MINGO. Probably that crack PR team at the airport.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 01:18 PM

He either thinks people are stupid or they have no recollection of past pronouncements he has made.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 02:04 PM

Thanks for all the negative people with their negative way of thinking , it will be done as mentioned .
Posted By: WLE

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 02:53 PM

It's hard not to be negative, when mentioned being done several times before !!!

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Thanks for all the negative people with their negative way of thinking , it will be done as mentioned .

Until another deadline is "mentioned".

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 03:22 PM

Lesley--sorry, no, it probably won't. I REALLY wish it will be finished by third quarter this year, a full SEVEN YEARS since Irma, but I have zero level of confidence.

What's that old saying, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 06:00 PM

Carol , time will speaks for itself.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 06:02 PM

Carol , time will speaks for itself.

It already has.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 06:20 PM

..over and over again.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 07:51 PM

Yep. I doubt they have hit one timeframe that Brian Mingo himself shot his mouth off about.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 08:17 PM

I will go out on a limb and agree that it will be completed by the end of November 2024...no clue why I think so. Just a feeling....
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 08:26 PM

Hey, they got the airport name lit up across the front of the building, that's a huge plus.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 08:59 PM

Yes, signage takes precedent over functionality.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 09:45 PM

bdeeley--I have to assume that post is in jest. Heck, it's only 6.5 years post Irma. Actually never realized that it wasn't lit up.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 11:17 PM

Not in jest. That is an actual update.

Re: PJIA update - 05/03/2024 11:45 PM

OK, sorry. I guess they got the sign lit up, but to ME, that is not huge plus. It is ridiculousness.
Posted By: DannynGinger

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 01:32 AM

😂🤣bwhhhhhhhhaaaaaa

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 02:14 AM

I definitely think they will have it reopened by the end of the 3rd quarter of 2024. I also think they will have the official re-dedication of the terminal on the 10th of November.

The 10th of November would mark 18 years to the day that the airport was originally dedicated by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. I would not be surprised to see Dutch Royals at the event for 2024.

I'm looking forward to using the new arrival hall in November 2024.

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 02:17 AM

🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏🤞🤞🤞

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 02:30 AM

Thanks for your positive comments.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 01:08 PM

I agree with Lesley. We must think positively ! What other hope do we have?

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 01:11 PM

bdeeley--I have no idea why you are confident on this, but I hope, for the sake of those travelling in the fourth quarter and after, that you are correct. IF!!! we see an announcement that the Dutch royals will be there for the reopening, then I will believe it will happen. Even Mingo wouldn't scr*w them over.
Posted By: lcote

Re: PJIA update - 05/04/2024 03:31 PM

RonDon, It would be nice to think positively. But my goodness, this airport fix has been going on entirely too long.
And if you read about the "new" departure hall you will see that it was not built to be big enough. I have my doubts about how good the arrivals hall will be.
But if that is the price for me to get to the island, then so be it.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: PJIA update - 05/05/2024 12:37 PM

Lesley, I know you have been on the island for longer than some of us. But as things go, we've been told to many times that "this will be done and that will be done" since Irma or so. The TRUTH is that less than half gets done on time. We all know this is another RUSE to pull over our heads to think, something will get done on time!! As one other posted said "I'll believe it when I see it!" . Until then we have to grab some patience until this is completed!!! I have suggestion, just like the old old airport, some sell drinks at the luggage carousel! Cold beer would make the wait go by a lot easier!!!

Re: PJIA update - 05/05/2024 01:17 PM

Thanks Fabi and how its how things are said about where I live gets me pissed off . We could have been American Citizens way back but because first of all we misplaced the papers from my Mom and our two children schooling was Canadian , hence speaks for itself .

Re: PJIA update - 05/05/2024 02:27 PM

Thanks Fabi and how its how things are said about where I live gets me pissed off . We could have been American Citizens way back but because first of all we misplaced the papers from my Mom and our two children schooling was Canadian , hence speaks for itself .

There you go again talking about something other than the topic at hand. I don't get the connection.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: PJIA update - 05/05/2024 09:47 PM

The departure area of the airport is now SPECTACULAR!!!!

Re: PJIA update - 05/05/2024 10:15 PM

But it can be very crowded, especially on the lower level.

Back on topic or this will end.
Posted By: jbutah

Re: PJIA update - 05/06/2024 12:23 PM

We arrived yesterday on American at 1:30.Touchdown to walking out the door was an hour and ten minutes. Waiting for the bags took the most time. They were still putting out West jet's bags when we got to baggage claim.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline